Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next: 2011 rimfire.

bluesman2a

Here are some pics of my current build. Just got it back from my smith for basic frame-to-slide fit and cutting the LDC for a unique fit slide. It's an STI LDC frame kit I bought from a gentleman here in the classifieds, mated to a Tactical Solutions threaded/railed upper. Thus far I'm EXTREMELY happy. This feels like it's going to be a fun shooter.

I still have to fit the internals on the lower.

The plan is:

Koenig hammer and EGW internals/ignition parts

stainless/ambi safety

stainless grip safety

flat/ss MSH

17# main-spring (there was some concern here if that would be too much for a .22 as I'll be shooting this with subsonic ammo and a can most of the time when I'm at home), may have to go with something lighter.

Carakote, but not sure what color, kinda digging the 2-tone at the moment.

2B3795AB-F000-4B99-8C95-F30839B77418_zps
9E627D09-DF83-4B40-A8CA-52D9F0F20D66_zps
1008BB89-B31B-4A82-94AC-9A03F0465273_zps
57D72F80-8E97-43A4-88DD-7DE6CB388061_zps

Nice! I like to 2-tone too. What can are you using?

Thanks for the kind words, guys... This is a tough crowd for builds, because there are SO many great guns out there and so many talented builders.

As for what can, on this, I have a SWR Spectre II that I will be using.

8B0F5079-A0B6-434C-BD0D-92E6EDBB4882-347

.22 conversions on 2011 platforms are a lot of fun. I just finished up one for my 2011 using a Nelson Customs kit. It's friggin accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. I'm currently running a 17# mainspring but not with sub sonic loads. I have some CCI Quiet I could run as a test.

Looks like a winner there. Keep us updated with your progress.

.22 conversions on 2011 platforms are a lot of fun. I just finished up one for my 2011 using a Nelson Customs kit. It's friggin accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. I'm currently running a 17# mainspring but not with sub sonic loads. I have some CCI Quiet I could run as a test.

Looks like a winner there. Keep us updated with your progress.

I can tell you now that, if you haven't already tried it, the CCI Quiet won't do much. It's only about 710FPS out of the muzzle. It's not designed for autos, but I have a bolt action host I run it on and it's stupid-quiet. You can hear the hammer/firing pin over the shot itself. If you want to test a good baseline subsonic, take a look at the CCI standard velocity, it's right around 1070FPS, and is about the best "sub" round I've found.

I'm envious of the cans you guys have. I need to jump on that bandwagon.

He's what I came up with.

IMG_4385.jpg

I really like both of those guns. If had a little more experience/research before I had jumped into this, I probably would have gone with Nelson. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the product for reliability/magazines, etc.

As for the cans, you're there in Texas, the Silencer Shop should be able to get you hooked up easily. I've heard they do it all, from setting up the trust for you through the final delivery. Once I had done my first can, I saw that there really was no "secret sauce", nothing to be concerned about if you can build a gun like that, it should be a fairly simple process by comparison. Also from what I've been seeing, wait times seem to be down to the 4-5 month mark now, so it's less than most guys here wait on guns/parts from builders here on this board!!! :-)

Edited by bluesman2a

I'm envious of the cans you guys have. I need to jump on that bandwagon.

He's what I came up with.

IMG_4385.jpg

Warning, once you learn the NFA process, it leads to other NFA purchases!

To be honest, I was into the NFA items long before I started USPSA, but since I refuse to pay the market price for machineguns, my 6 suppressors, 3 SBRs and AOW, will have to suffice.

I actually like the look of the Nelson top rail compared to my TS topend. It looks cleaner with an optic on it.

Question for you guys running conversions on wide-body frames:
I have the Tac Sol upper, has anybody ever run that with one of the older STI poly magazines?
I actually have one of the STI poly mags and was wondering if there is any history of making them work together.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the problem with these 22 builds... The two tone looks great. Mine is still 2 tone after its been built for 2 years.. Still not sure of the color I want to go for..

Edited by wwboater

Thanks for the info. They sure are proud of them!!!

Through this sight, I found that Advantage Arms has a polymer 2011 wide-body magazine that's half the price of the Tac Sol and others. I can't get to their sight right now, but just go to their web store, it was only $45 as opposed to almost $100 for the Tacical Solutions mag. Don't get me wrong, those TacSol's are a work of billet art, but $100 per .22 mag is hard to swallow.

Thats the problem with these 22 builds... The two tone looks great. Mine is still 2 tone after its been built for 2 years.. Still not sure of the color I want to go for..

Hey WWBoater! Nice to see another local here. I looked at some colors yesterday at the smith's shop, I think I'm going to go with the raw aluminum color, but I agree, I want to get everything dialed in before I have them shoot some color on it.

If you want widebody .22 mags but don't feel like paying more for mags than the kit, try Nelson Custom Guns.

http://www.nelsoncustomguns.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=18

Don't forget to order a widebody mag loading tool. ;)

Those look VERY similar to the Advantage Arms I found through this site, here:

http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AASOS&Product_Code=STIMag&Category_Code=1911Mag

I don't know the reality, but the AA mags use what looks like ruger internals. If they are the same and work well, that's a HELLUVA price on those Nelson's. I may have to call and order a couple for comparison. Hopefully I have a functional gun next week for testing!

I am up in Woodstock and pretty active on ODT.

Yep, I recognized the name from ODT, we did some business a while back on some ammo and Uzi mags. You were also one of the people who I asked about 2011's before I jumped in with both feet, but it's been quite a while since we talked on it.

Yep, I recognized the name from ODT, we did some business a while back on some ammo and Uzi mags. You were also one of the people who I asked about 2011's before I jumped in with both feet, but it's been quite a while since we talked on it.

Guess what. I need some more UZI mags. You want to sell them?

Anyways once you get your gun running let me know I would love to meet up and try them out side by side....