Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

yet another IDPA question for the CZ...

jogan

tried searching but just kept getting more confused...can you play in the ESP class of IDPA with a SP01 with the magwell and basepads that all fit in the IDPA box? I keep hearing that the gun, since it has the full lenght dust cover, must conform to SSP rules to be allowed to shoot in ESP. Fine, I'd rather shoot single action the entire string anyway, but is the magwell allowed? Love the way this thing shoots so would hate to not be able to shoot it. And before you chime in with, "just shoot USPSA and be done with it!" I'm limited as to what matches are available in our area. But since I brought it up, what division would my SP01 with magwell be in? Thanks guys! John.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but this is my understanding of the IDPA rules. I shoot an SP-01 in IDPA as well, and this is what my research has led me to conclude.

The SP-01 will qualify in SSP normally (fits in the box, makes weight, etc)... In that classification, you will have to shoot with the hammer down at the LAMR command. Full length metal dust cover is not an issue in SSP. Now, if you wanted to be cocked and locked at the LAMR command (or more specifically, have the choice to), this will put you in ESP. Normally, a full length dust cover is not allowed in ESP, but since your SP-01 qualifies in SSP, you can use the SSP into ESP rule and thus, you are OK.

8.2.2.1.7. All firearms legal in SSP are legal for use in ESP. This provision may be used for firearms that violate an ESP rule (for example, a firearm with a steel dust cover or rail over 3.25”) to still be used in ESP, provided the firearm meets all SSP requirements.

Now, in your situation, you want to add a magwell (and shoot SA) which automatically puts you into ESP based on your modifications. A magwel is not a legal modification in SSP (see below), and thus, you cannot use the SSP to ESP rule. So in short, I don't believe you can shoot your SP-01 with a magwell in ESP.

8.2.1.4. SSP Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list): 8.2.1.4.1. Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section. 8.2.1.4.2. Aftermarket or visibly modified magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, and hammers. 8.2.1.4.3. Robar-style grip reduction. 8.2.1.4.4. Add-on magazine well opening.

Edited by itzjere

a SP01 gets into esp with the ssp into esp ruling. the full length dust cover(fldc) of the SP01 requires this. you can shoot your SP01 "cocked and locked" in ESP but the gun must be built out to SSP specs. so no mag well.

i have had great success with a 75 shadow in ESP with a magwell. either in SAO or starting a da/sa gun cocked and locked. you get the awesome trigger of a shadow/non firing pin block gun and magwell, but lose the benefit of that fldc's weight out in front of the gun.

8.2.2.1.7. All firearms legal in SSP are legal for use in ESP. This provision may be used for firearms that violate an ESP rule (for example, a firearm with a steel dust cover or rail over 3.25”) to still be used in ESP, provided the firearm meets all SSP requirements.

Given the way that rule is written, wouldn't it prevent you from shooting the SP-01 cocked and locked since part of the SSP requirements are to start a DA/SA pistol with the hammer down? (8.2.1.2.1 Selective DA/SA firearms will start hammer down.)

Of course if that's the case, then there would be no reason to shoot ESP with one of the firearms that falls under the SSP into ESP rule, unless you were able to take advantage of the other allowed ESP modifications.

Edited by TennJeep1618

I belive it specifically mentions using ssp to esp or cdp your allowed to start cocked and locked.

Ah yes, I see that you are correct. Thanks for the info!

8.2.2.1.6.2 Selective DA/SA firearms will start cocked and locked or de-cocked. This is at the shooter’s discretion, including firearms using the SSP into ESP rule.

well I've sent off a letter to IDPA to see what they come up with. I thought I could shoot it in ESP as long as the gun meets the SSP criteria when you buy it. I added the magwell since I had no plans of shooting in SSP. Can I just gring off an inch of the damn dust cover?lol

Not sure where you got the 'when you buy it' part.. maybe you're referring to factory configurations, minimum production count and factory available modifications?

As for grinding off the dust cover, I don't think such a modification would allowed in SSP (similar to grip reduction and other permanent frame/slide modifications on non-removable parts)

tried searching but just kept getting more confused...can you play in the ESP class of IDPA with a SP01 with the magwell and basepads that all fit in the IDPA box? I keep hearing that the gun, since it has the full lenght dust cover, must conform to SSP rules to be allowed to shoot in ESP. Fine, I'd rather shoot single action the entire string anyway, but is the magwell allowed? Love the way this thing shoots so would hate to not be able to shoot it. And before you chime in with, "just shoot USPSA and be done with it!" I'm limited as to what matches are available in our area. But since I brought it up, what division would my SP01 with magwell be in? Thanks guys! John.

As others have mentioned, the simple answer is no.

Since the SP01 has a full length steel dustcover that is longer than 3.5" from the slide stop, it must meet all SSP requirements in order to play with it in IDPA. Since magwells are not allowed in SSP, they cannot be used, even for ESP since the SP01 has to meet SSP rules in order to play in ESP. So no magwell for you. ;)

Cutting the dustcover shorter would be considered an external modification but it would probably allow you to install a magwell and use it for ESP but it would be smarter to use a CZ 75 SA frame if you were going to use a magwell.

Trust me, I have had this dillema as well and my solution was to build 2 SP01 Shadows for SSP, and a CTS Longslide and CZ75 Shadow for ESP.

For CDP, I am using a Witness Match Elite in .45 ACP.

• 5 months later...

So which sp-01 shadows are legal in IDPA?

SP01 Shadow, SP01 Shadow 2014

Why only those? Is there a sp01 shadow 2015 not legal or other sp01 shadow no legal?( i know the sp01 acc and target are no legal)

Thanks

Edited by MP9

As long as the SP01 Shadow does not have an Accu Shadow bushing and does not have the rear sight milled for a different sight and meets all of the other requirements for the SSP Class, it should be legal for IDPA.