Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting USPSA With A Revolver

bruce282

OK I'm new to this so please be kind. I plan on shooting GSSF with my G17 this year, and wanted to find somewhere to shoot my Ruger GP100. I looked at USPSA and IDPA and decided right now to shoot USPSA since both my holsters are illegal in IDPA. In addition to my holster I have 7 speedloaders, and have been looking at the various methods of carrying them. I have joined USPSA and received the Green Rules book last night so I'm covered there. I'm just wonder what wheelgun shooters use to cart their speedloaders around in, and do I need anything else?

Thanks

Bruce

I might suggest using the safariland comp 3 speedloaders if you don't have them already. They are fast and they lock the bullets in straight. If you decide to stick with it, buy a set of 3 and holder. With the 6 to start and 3 loaders, you will have 24 rounds. That will get you though many stages. Dillon sells them, comp 3's are $16 and the holder is $27 (off the top of my head.)

Bruce282,

Welcome to the world of the wheelgun.

Set down the Glock and back slowly away.

The Safariland Comp 3's work very well. I think they are pricey for what they are but I am cheap. I have them for my model 10 setup.

Have fun,

Dave

Well I already have 7 HKS speedloaders, sonmeone I know was getting out of the wheelgun division, and she also had 2 of the Safarilands CD-2's that I picked up for cheap. It appears the Safarilands 333 is only for Safarilands speedloaders, right? I'll keep looking and see what I come with online. My other question I forgot to ask was, would I be better off shooting .38 or .357? I'm in for fun right now, and I need to learn 'how to' first, then worry about 'how fast and how many'.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Can you convert the gun over to moonclips ??

Don't know if the rules allow it but it's not an expensive project.

No more dirt filled speed loaders, buy 20-30 moonclips they'll last

a fairly long time. always get all your brass back (I'm so cheap)

Fast reloads (not poo pooing on the the fast speed loader folks,

Jet Safari, HKS, more power to ya)

Yes it's an investment but done by the right smith you will still be able to

use the revo with out the moonclips if you ever go back to IDPA.

Just thinking, DaveP.

My other question I forgot to ask was, would I be better off shooting .38 or .357? I'm in for fun right now, and I need to learn 'how to' first, then worry about 'how fast and how many'.

Thanks again,

Bruce

I would start off shooting 38+P loads for minor scoring. When you get fast/accurate with that combo, then maybe move up to full .357 mag loads for major scoring if you are trying to be really competative. I'd probably just shoot minor exclusively.

Another advantage to 38+P is you can use lower cost lead bullets (158 grain) at velocities where leading should not be an issue. Magnum level lead loads are going to require a harder than normal alloy and/or heavier (180 grain) bullets to prevent leading. If you are planning to shoot jacketed bullets anyway, then it comes down to recoil vs. scoring.

You can convert your GP-100 to moonclips. See www.moonclips.com for more information. Tom Kilhoffer will sell you the clips, holders, and tools and will provide instructions for cutting the cylinder that any good machinist can follow. The machining cost me $40 in Denver.

If you shoot lead, bring a bore brush and some aerosol brake cleaner to clean the cylinder every two or three stages.

My GP-100's cylinder gets quite hot shooting long stages w/.357 mag. You may want to put some tape on the fingertips of your left hand if you hold the gun in your left hand and reload with your right hand.

And then you'll search for the right 170 pf .357 load. But it's all fun so welcome to the Revolver Division.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a M-15 S&W for several years I started out using HKS speed loaders because that is what was in my duty belt. It did not thak to long for me to change over to the Comp 3 and 333 holders. I has to do some surgery on my grips but they worked ok. You can get the HKS loaders in the 333 carier. I use a old Sarfari land holster. I have been thinking if geting a CR Speed revolver holster sinsc I have switched to a 625S&W. Welcome to the wonderful world of revolvers You have seen the true light.

bruce282 would that be a small block dodge? ;)

Back on the subject....

The GP 100 should be fine to start shooting USPSA matches with a revolver....

The 333 holders will hold the HKS fine and is OK just takes practice like everything else.

You can use the California Comp holders either the ones with the plastic holders (unscrew them and take the plastic out) or the ones with nothing on the inside.

No need to shoot Major, shoot minor since you need to learn to shoot for points any way (you shoot for points shooting major too).

Two hints I can give you about shooting Revolver in USPSA...

1 Have FUN :D

2 When done having fun...... Have some more !!! ;)

If you are the competetive type person you will also need to learn some other stuff but that is secondary to having fun !!!!!

If you like it (I really Hope so) and decide to get serious then you can pick up a 25-2 or a 610 or 625 some where.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Revolvers !!!!!

Welcome to the Forums !!!!

See you on the range sometime !!!

Hopalong