Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training routines?

My live fire warm up is two rounds at an ipsic target at the 3,5,7,10,15,25,40 and 50 yards. I load so I have to make a mag change every other line. I do this almost every time I go to the range. Three to four times a week. Except here lately.

Dry fire I dry draw several times pushing the speed up a bit and then slowing it back down to natural speed (in cotrol speed) then do the same with reloads. Then I'll work on movement a bit. Feeling the body, how it moves, how in balance it is in different positions, efficient body motions etc. Then wrap up with some accuracy (slowfire at a small aiming point)

Live fire I will pick a specific skill set I want to work on. I'll start with 50 yd groups, A Bill drill or two, Maybe some dot drill. Then I'll work on the specific skill. Devils triangle. More accuracy if needed, Target aquisitions, table draws, Doors, steel, reloads, swingers and movers, etc.

Then end with some accuracy drills, either more at 50 yds or strong hand/weak hand groups, always try to leave on a good note.

Pat  

I think Pat and I have pretty much the same routine, but I don't do quite as much. The last little will my dry firing time has been limited, so I will practice movement drill

as work, home or where ever I may be.  I work on the day to day thinks you mit see in a stage.  Going through doors, moving from one place to another.  Try to move quickly but smooth.  Pat taught me a good drill to work on this.  Take the lid off of your coffee (or what ever your drinking). Hold it in front of you in a similar stance as

you hold your gun on target.  Now move quickly without spilling it.  It's harder then it sounds.

Sorry to post late on this Chris, but Brians awareness drills (page 169) are brilliant for cutting acquisition times.

I spend most of my TV time, gun in hand, weak/strong/f/s practising these excersises and they really work.

P.D.

intermediate--that is probably me.

If you aren't getting mostly(almost all) A hits in a match then focus on accuracy.  Don't even work with a timer for a while.

The dot drill that Pat has posted has got to be the ticket for now.  I would even break the shooting process down into tiny steps for a while.  Just to slow down and experience each part of the shooting.

For me, I have noticed that I need to work on "type 3" shooting instead of "type 4".  (from Brian's book)

As for dry fire...I like to keep the gun right here next to the computer.  Then I'll practice transitions from aiming at an outlet to a candle holder to a cap on a bottle...whatever is in the area.  (always check the gun to ensure clear)

10 Draws slow

10 Draws Wrist above shoulders slow

10 Draws normal

10 Draws wrist above shoulder normal

10 draws fast as possible

10 draws wrist above shoulder fast as possible

10 draws while going to one knee

10 draws while moving left or right (barricade)

10 reloads slow

10 reloads normal

10 reloads fast as possible

10 reloads from all mag holders (cycle trough them)

10 reloads while kneeling

10 relaods while moving left or right (like shooting around a barricade)

By now you should be tired and have had enough....mix and match to suit your needs and time.  Sometimes I just do 5 of each.  Make them quality.  Sometimes I play a game where if I miss a reload I have to start over.

Good drill, I would add to that though. As well as hands down and wrists above shoulders, work on draws with your hands held in front of you at waist to chest level, it simulates holding an object, box, doorknob, broomstick etc.as the motion to the gun is a bit different from the other two positions and combined with them covers just about any draw you'll ever come across. Do some table top draws too as a switch from time to time.

Pat  

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 10:20 am on June 15, 2001)

Good Point Pat.  I did like to mix and match as well.  Like turn, then draw.  Draw while going to one knee.  Hands streched out.  Get creative to get a good feel where your pistol is located.