Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9 sight alignment

gittist

Does S&W do anything other than just slap the sights on to say their on? I picked up my new pistol the other day and shot 25 rounds with it this afternoon.

Everything was to the left including a hole at 9:00 about the size of a fifty cent piece from about 15 feet where several rounds went through. On the way back inside I noticed while pointing the weapon downrange that the front sight post is right of center at about the 1:00 position and also the rear sight is off to the right.

Before I start monkeying with the sights, I'd like to know if something is done at the factory to sight it in, or is it just me?

Thanks,

Tim

My Shield has a recessed dimple that the set screw on the rear sight goes into...meaning all windage adjustments really need to be done with the front sight.

I don't recall seeing that on any of my full size and pro M&Ps but I had always just centered the rear and used the front for adjustment. All of mine were dead on out of the box (until I swapped out the sights).

Did you shoot the pistol from a rest, or were your shots off hand? I'd make sure it was the pistol before I started moving the sights around. I've never adjusted a M&P sight and I've got 4 of them.

I shot off hand at about 15 feet. Both the rear and front sights are to the right of the barrel center line. It's pretty plain that's the case by just looking at the front sight slot since there's a lot more slot to the left of the sight, than to the right. Rear sight is similar but not as pronounced as the front sight. If the factory has boresighted it, the problem is wtih me. According to my handy dandy shooting error chart, it's a trigger finger issue.

Someone will say it, so it might as well be me...get someone else (really good shooter) to shoot it, and see if they have the same results.

I thought about that but doubted the local good shooter would be at the range today! Besides I don't know if they plowed it out yet.

Both of the M&P Pros that I purchased new this year had their rear sights offset to the right with corresponding groups. An annoyance but easily remedied, unlike a loose rear sight notch that required sight burring.

My 5" Pro shot way low and left out of the box. And not just for me but for two good shooters. After corresponding with S&W customer service a few times, I was sent a return authorization. The front sight was exchanged for a shorter one that brought the POI up to the correct elevation. The front sight was also installed properly which brought the POI back to the center.

I found several other threads on the internet about M&P Pistols, including the Pro, identical to my situation, and a few that are the exact opposite. Some of the threads state that the factory does a function and sight test before it leaves the plant. I wonder what the standard for the sights is? A dumpster at 10 paces?

S&W hasn't replied to my inquiry yet, but I got a nice automated email acknowledging it.