Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

135gr .40 minor

APL-G35

I did this experiment, I like you expected 40 minor to feel the same as 9 minor given the same weight bullet, same powder, same charge, but I was disappointed.

The same Stock II with barrels in 40 and 9: 3.5gr of Clays under a 135gr plated bullet at 1.135". While the 9mm load made 126PF, the 40 load made only 103PF and was noticeably more harsh (if the recoil from a 103PF 40 round can be seriously described as such!).

Maybe try a 155/165. Ive shot some 40 minor stuff with a 180 and it was fine. The 6" slide may be causing the "sluggish" feeling.

Which powder are you looking to use?

Also unless the sluggish feeling is completely unbearable and you can't stand it, I would be curious to see if your times are at all different between minor and major. Sometimes your perception of what the gun is doing can really throw off what is actually happening. THE TIMER DOESNT LIE! Try running some drills and see if the difference is significant. If it isn't maybe try shooting your normal 180 load in the 140-150 PF range.

so much of this stuff is subjective and personal...

I tried steel challenge with the 180gr minor loads. Just didn't like how it cycled. Hard to explain even though it recoiled light (minimal sight lift) it felt off as though I was waiting on the sights. The slide was chopped up nice and light and had a 10lb spring. I think I'll get some to try myself and load them to around a 125 PF.

I tested 180 gr seated to 1.185" using 4.3 N340 in my STI 2011 installed 11 # recoil spring and Wilson blue buffer that was amazingly fast, nice and pleasant load to shoot I did not use the chrono to check the speed yet I know it should in the MP range.

Will be used in our club multi gun match only.

Sadly I run out of the N340 my only options now is CFE pistol and HP 38 so I need to start testing agian and see if I can duplicate.

I stay away from the lighter bullets in my TS, because I have to use way more powder, I don't get very good accuracy, and the SDs suck. I use 165 HP and 180 TC bullets for minor, both loaded to 140~144PF. For any of the games that require only one shot on target, the weight makes no difference. The slide action occurs during the transition. For anything you have to double tap (or more), the 165 is back on target faster.

I really did not like the recoil impulse of the 155gr bullets, so I'm quite sure I wouldn't like anything lighter. It was very pleasant and snappy at 132PF, but didn't start to become accurate until I got over 144PF. At that point I thought- why bother.

I like the way my Limited Pro feels using 155gr Bayou bullet over a small amount of WST and using a 9# recoil spring. The sights seem to snap back into alignment with very little muzzle lift. I tried 135gr and 140gr bullets but there was just too much muzzle lift. Mistakenly took the 140gr loads to a steel match and didn't do so well. Big surprise on the first shot.