Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm Bulk Ammo for Eventual Reloading

CyclicRate

I've had good luck with Aguila.

If you shoot coated lead bullets in the future, these will fail the case gauge with regularity. I would steer clear of anything with CBC, Tula, Ammo-Load, A-Merc, Aguilla, or IMT head stamps. Winchester, PPU, PMC, Federal, Blazer, Speer, Hornady and others have all seemed to work out fine for me when reloading with coated lead.

Also I have found that herters has very tight primer pockets

I forgot about those. I toss those in the scrap bucket too. What brass does Freedom Munitions use? If I'm wrong, let me know, but I don't think I've seen a better deal on loaded ammo than they offer.

I forgot about those. I toss those in the scrap bucket too. What brass does Freedom Munitions use? If I'm wrong, let me know, but I don't think I've seen a better deal on loaded ammo than they offer.

Freedom Munitions uses a lot of Ammoload brass. Okay for minor loads but the bullet shelf in these cases reduces interior case volume and can cause problems when loaded to major power factor. Ammoload type cases are also found with the headstamps FM and IMT. Many guys toss these headstamps on sight but I use them for minor loads of practice ammo.

Edited by razorfish

Freedom Munitions uses a lot of Ammoload brass. Okay for minor loads but the bullet shelf in these cases reduces interior case volume and can cause problems when loaded to major power factor. Ammoload type cases are also found with the headstamps FM and IMT. Many guys toss these headstamps on sight but I use them for minor loads of practice ammo.

Thanks for answering that. I didn't know what kind of brass they used, but if they use Ammoload I would pass on Freedom. I toss that headstamp when I sort my brass.

I loaded the Ammoload to major PF many times with no issues at all, I actually like it.

But I would definitely stay away from the WInchester, based on my many experiences with them blowing up.

The problem with Ammoload is how it fails... the case splits at the bullet shelf. The rear of the case ejects but it will leave a brass sleeve firmly lodged in your chamber. Not particularly dangerous but this failure will ruin a match. I've only heard of this issue on 9 major loads. If you're having good results, load them up but if you ever have one fail in this manner, your going to have fun scraping the other half of the case out of your chamber.

Another issue with Ammoload (also IMT, FM) brass is when you're loading with a Dillon 1050 and swaging. Basically the swage backup rod doesn't fit and jams. In a worst case scenario you don't notice it an it over swages the primer pocket... In these cases the primer just falls out of the case.

Again, I have no problem with Ammoload cases but I'm careful to relegate them to minor 9mm loads just in case.

On the other hand I do like Winchester brass. Luckily I've never had one "blow up" on me or I suppose my opinion would change.

Here's a pic of failed Ammoload case:

9mmc.jpg

I loaded the Ammoload to major PF many times with no issues at all, I actually like it.

But I would definitely stay away from the WInchester, based on my many experiences with them blowing up.

The problem with Ammoload is how it fails... the case splits at the bullet shelf. The rear of the case ejects but it will leave a brass sleeve firmly lodged in your chamber. Not particularly dangerous but this failure will ruin a match. I've only heard of this issue on 9 major loads. If you're having good results, load them up but if you ever have one fail in this manner, your going to have fun scraping the other half of the case out of your chamber.

Another issue with Ammoload (also IMT, FM) brass is when you're loading with a Dillon 1050 and swaging. Basically the swage backup rod doesn't fit and jams. In a worst case scenario you don't notice it an it over swages the primer pocket... In these cases the primer just falls out of the case.

Again, I have no problem with Ammoload cases but I'm careful to relegate them to minor 9mm loads just in case.

I load them on the 1050, and I notice higher than average effort, but never noticed the swage backup rod jam, it still moves smoothly through the process.

I load them on the 1050, and I notice higher than average effort, but never noticed the swage backup rod jam, it still moves smoothly through the process.

But based on your input, I will not use them in matches, just to be sure. :)

I'm sorry but all brass will, at sometime, FAIL. Unless you can track the number of times any particular piece of brass has been reloaded you can not truly trust it to stay in one piece. Save known brass for matches. Accept that, work through it & burn some powder.