Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Grip job

leath4m

Finally took the plunge! Would like to thank StraighUp_OG for the inspiration and guidance . My grip is now stiffer and feels great in the hand. Pictures below. JB Weld and silicone carbide 30/40 grit. If I were to do it again I'd go for a more aggressive grit. Enjoy.

3djedi, it has taken me nearly an hour to try and work out how to post this on my phone. So YouTube may be otta the question for me. But believe me it is very easy. I made sure my prep was done properly, I washed evert thing with Metho ( rubbing alcohol for you guys) . Then taped off the diamonds and STI logos with building tape. Pay attention to your lines at this point. Mix your JB weld and apply, I used a art knife for this and just "Trowled "it on. Then just sprinkle on your Silicone Carbide and lightly press it in. Do this a couple times so you get a good coverage. Then leave it for 1/2 an hour and remove your tape. Then inspect and if you have a line that isn't straight just push it into place with your finger. The JB weld will be tacky and workable by then. Oh yeah, completely take your grip apart, trigger as well. And tape areas you don't want Carbide in. Then leave it overnight and reinstall. Job done. I'll try and post some more photos.

Excellent.

I have an extra grip sitting here I would love to try it on.

Did you sand the grip texture off before applying the jb weld?

Edit...after looking at your pics it appears you did not....

Edited by 3djedi

Nice work and good thinking leath4M. You can do mirracle with JB weld.

I been thinking of using MarinTex and spong for the texture I did that on my long range precison rig it worked very well.

3djedi. I used 30/40 grit on eBay from the States, but I reckon you guys use a different scale. I would definitely go more course next time. asr1, I have thought of that too! You see it done on the aluminium bottom ends. Looks cool and should be real grippy.

Looks like a nice job. Do you guys feel this offers better grip than a nice stipple job? I used to really like the sandpaper stickers for my glocks, but once I got my 2011 with a stippled grip, I think stippled is the way to go. I haven't tried holding a Si carbide grip though..

I find the grip of SiCa sand to be perfect. It's grippy without being painful. Sweat or no sweat feels the same, and it really stiffens the grip to where it won't flex when trying to drop mags with a death grip on em, not to mention a slight added weight to the ever light plastic grip.

Yeah I reckon it's heaps better. Lots more grip than stipple. I've done heaps of stippling jobs and it's not the same. Plus I'm not convinced it doesn't weakin the grip.

I think it weakens the grip for sure. I had mine reduced and stippled and some of my mags won't drop unless I release all pressure on my grip.

• 2 weeks later...