Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ok I want to try out a little 3 gun. Need shotgun barrel advice

Majja

As the title says I want to try this out, as appealing as buying a new gun is adn always will be I want to do this one on a bit of a budget. I have a good old 870 that has not done much in the back of my safe for several years. SO i figured I would through a new barrel on it with a small extension tube and go rock and roll. So what barrel due you all suggest. I think I want to use the Williams Fire Sights on it as well, but that is also open to suggestions.

Thank you

Majja

You might no even need a new barrel. What do you have on it now? as long as it has screw-in chokes and it is somewhere between the legal limit of 18. 5 and 26" you shouldn't need to touch it, slap an extended mag tube on it and shoot it until you decide what you want to do for your next shotgun.

You might no even need a new barrel. What do you have on it now? as long as it has screw-in chokes and it is somewhere between the legal limit of 18. 5 and 26" you shouldn't need to touch it, slap an extended mag tube on it and shoot it until you decide what you want to do for your next shotgun.

That is good advice.

Ohh man now i have to think it is the stock barrel form like 20+ years ago so I think it is the 26 or 28. I can slap a tube on it and play that is easy.

I just started shooting 3 gun last year and for my shotgun adding a tube was all I did. You will get to matches and see other setups that will give you a much better idea of what you want. Buying a tube like a Nordic you can use that on your next gun if you get a +5 thru +8 with only the purchase of new nut from Nordic. Save the money for a barrel for your next shotgun unless your 870 has a 28" with a fixed full choke. Your going to want to buy a bunch of stuff to start but resist the urge until you've shot a few matches.

If your stock barrel has choke tubes, you're good. If not, then you should probably consider either getting it threaded (if that's even possible) or get a new barrel. It's frustrating trying to knock over (or watch attempts at knocking over) steel plates at a distance with a fixed choke. Been there, done that, not fun.

Shot my first several matches with a Marlin Camp 9, G22 and a 26" barreled 870 with a 4 shot extension. I would have kept shooting it except some silly rule set said I could not have a barrel longer than 22". Many shotguns later, still have the old 870, but most of those bought for 3Gun in between then and now are gone. :)

Thanks I do have choke tubes for it. Any suggestions on which ones to start with? Help me on the learning curve. This gun as seen many rounds of 3" mag steel shot though it in its life, it feel it is time to repurpose her and get out again.

IC, LM, M, IM will all get you through the first few matches. Here is the article from one of the masters...http://www.multigunmedia.com/3gn-choke-and-loads.pdf

+1. At first, the targets you are missing are usually off by more than a choke tube change will fix. Eventually you will find that you use something in the range of light mod +/- one restriction most of the time. 3GN type courses with nothing but static clays at in-your-face distances might warrant an open choke, but otherwise not so much. I shot for a year with nothing but an IC and a Mod, before I started experimenting.

I would contend that a fixed Modified or a fixed Full choke barrel would knock over ANYTHING we shoot at in 3-gun. A cylinder bore gun, not so much, but modified or full...oh hell yeah!!!

Knock them down and away for sure. Smaller margin of error for sights off target but easier to avoid the no shoots. I followed the advice in Pat's article, screwed a light mod in, and didn't find a need to take it out last year.

Edited by TyinTX