Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Marauder broken barrel link?

tiger49931

So im on almost my last stage at a local IDPA match when my STI Marauder goes from a frantic semi auto to a single shot. I finish the stage ( only had 1 target left) Then i return to the safety area to tear it down and see whats up. Thinking since it has never had a problem before and i didnt clean in after my last practice maybe she is getting finicky and needs to be cleaned. So i break it down and out drops a half circle piece of steel that i was like OK where the heck did this come from low and behold its the lower half of the circle on the barrel link. So my question is

1. Does this show a greater problem Barrel not properly fit , Slide fit incorrect etc .

2. is this a normal piece to break if so will STI fix it or should i send it out to a different gunsmith?

As i have several STI's and 1911 and have never seen this happen before i am a little apprehensive about what could be going on with my pistol.

How many rounds do you have on it?

Could be a bad link. Could also be an improperly fit barrel.

Either way you are gonna want to call STI and they are going to want to take a look at it (at least that would be my bet).

Edited by caspian guy

maybe about 2-3000 rounds IDPA 130k PF stuff so light for sure .

They are definately getting a call tomorrow i know they will fix it. atleast i hope i will be sending back all parts

Edited by tiger49931

Talked to sti they said they are going to fix and only needed the barrel? Sounds weird to me that if the link broke because inproper barrel fir then maybe you might want the slide with it? but any way sent the barrel to them today. so it went second day air they will have it on wednesday and return time will be ? lets wait and see

Timing and barrel fit issues putting undue stress on the link, slide stop, and barrel lugs are usually the cause of broken links, followed shortly by a broken slide stop and/or damaged barrel lugs. It could be something as simple as a defective link, but (for STI) why run the risk that it is not something more serious? The link will continue to break if it is one of the other more serious issues. I once had a Para that broke the link and slide stop several times, including an Ed Brown Hardcore slide stop. That continued on until my gunsmith took some measurements, determined that it was a fit/timing issue and welded up the lower barrel lug and re-cut it and re-fitted it. The gun never broke another link or slide stop thereafter.

You'll have to trust STI that they know what is up, but if it were me, I would feel a lot more comfortable if they had the whole gun to eliminate barrel timing, fit, etc. as the cause. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

If you are concerned that the barrel is not fitted properly, take it to a local smith and have him check it over. Most guys won't charge for just a look and I would just be happy to play with a marauder.

You can also use a grease pen to see if is sitting uneven on the feet. Lots of threads with pictures to help you out, here and on the 1911 forum.

STI has been having issues with pistols with wrong timing. The VIS on the barrel have been machined, hence broken links and/or slide stops and/or barrel link pins.

You may need to send the whole pistol back to have the barrel replaced.

I've read that with new management, STI has corrected the problem. But I suspect that hundreds of pistols out there have timing problems.