Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell holders

AH6IP

How did you hold the bar for weights.... :P

It was actually a significant handicap on the deadlift, especially when training for it. I trained in the same gym as a former SHWT world champion (1984, 1003 lb squat!) who had hands almost identical to mine (although he was only about 5'5" or 5'6"), and his deadlift was never comparable to his squat and bench press.

It's not a problem for pressing of any kind, though!

Who actually holds the bar when they're bench pressing? Git yer thumbs outta tha way.

[Thread drift]

rhino, was there anything special that you did to get your bench press weight up so high? My press weight sucks, whereas everything else is pretty decent (475lb squat (set of 8), 1310lb leg press (single rep), 125lb curl (sets), 225lb clean [years ago dropping the bar caused a shoulder injury that doesn't let me do shoulder press very well anymore]).

Last quarter of school begins mid-March, early-April and I'd like to take that 10 weeks to get my bench weight up to something respectable (4 reps at 225-ish). Right now I'm doing 4 sets of 10 reps at 135lb on the inclined press and the last set has me working (ultimately resulting in me torquing my body to fight the shoulder injury). I don't really do the regular press, but the last time I did it I maxed at 195 for a single rep.

Anyway, pointers?[/TD]

Mike and Kurt,

Thanks for the video clip. Hope your planned instructional shotgun video would push thru. Book me as your first customer. Lino :)

Any way you guys can make that clip available here? I'd love to view it. Thanks.

Hi all, I'm the inventor and the guy selling the shot shell holders that are being discussed recently on this forum. I don't completely understand how each of you reloads so I won't attempt to discuss each of your points. I hope to pass along a better understanding of how these shell holders are suppose to work.

The intent of the belt shell holders is to allow the shooter to grab one to four shells in one hand for the reload. I have average size hands and with a little practice am able to manage four rounds with success. Being right handed I flip the gun up on my shoulder (some call it Texas style), lay the gun on its side and stuff four shells at a time. This also works with the under the arm roll over technique. (I've done both) My shell holders are on my right side and or in front of me depending on if I'm wearing a pistol or not. I grab four rounds so they lay in my hand (like Taran's) facing the direction they enter the loading gate of the gun. This grip doesn't require any flipping to position the rounds for the reload. Once I have a grip on the shells I stuff them in the gate by rolling (kinda) each towards the tip of my fingers (sounds more complicated than it is). The abiltiy of the shell holders to tilt back (or forward) positions the shells at the right angle to grip and pull. My shell holders are designed to give the user more room to get a grip around one or more shells This work well for me with my not so big hands. All shell holders can be switched from left to right hand use by removing two screws. Good for lefty or righty.

Gun mount shell holder. Same basic idea as belt model. I mount mine on the right side of my gun so they are standing upright and pull out towards me when I am shooting. To reload I grab four rounds as I move the gun up on my shoulder (Texas style) and roll the gun on its side and stuff the shells. I've also used the roll over method which works just as well. Remember these are ambi capable so they can be hung from the gun right side up, up side down on the left or right side. Once I have shells in hand its only a few inches to the reloading gate.

Side note #1: I like Texas style because the reloading gate is close to my line of sight even when I'm watching where I am going so I can watch my direction of travel and the reload by using periferal vision. For me its also really fast to remount the gun since I just pull forward and twist and the gun lands back at my shoulder.

Side note #2: I've seen Taran's reloads in person, all I have to say is wow!!!!!

DVC

Todd

Edited by EricW

Now that Todd's posted the full explanation of things, I'll pop in and mention that I've been working with him on advertising displays for various publications... including a display for the shotshell grips. He's been absolutely great to work with and I've had fun on the production end, too. B)

Texas style?? Hear that Ericw??? and you the proud Northwesterner :D Taran is actually a bit slow on the loading side of things but he is fast on the move and trigger, which tends to negate alot of the speed gained in the loading fast department :D KURTM

EricW:

Have you ever seen "weakhand" loading done right?? Or are you basing your decision on what you have seen. I know about the article that was on Taran, but have you seen it in person? This is a simple test, start aimed in on a plate at 10 yards, at the beep shoot the plate then reload 8 and then shoot another plate. Have your best "shoulder" loader do it and post the time. I have posted my pesonal best which is 5.67 seconds for this drill, My average is in the low to mid sixes. Time someone  and let us know. By the way not only is the second saved by not flipping the gun but another second and a half to two seconds are saved by NOT having to reshoulder and aim, it already there. Just some thoughts. BTW these loaders look a bit wrong to me also as the front of the shell isn't guided into your hand as you strip the four of them from the holder, as another aside I am actually getting rather good at loading 5 at a time, but don't feel quite confident with it yet. KURTM

Kurt,

It should be obvious that I don't know squat about long-gunning. I'm just giving you guys a hard time because I like it when Benny talks trash. (It motivates me to practice. :P)

Anyway, no, I've never seen weakhand done right in person. I have done some timing of the basic gun movements and see plusses and minuses to both technique. I did talk to Shawn about it a good while, and basically loading 8, he *averages* under 6 seconds. His best is a 5.1something I believe. (Will I ever be that fast? I don't know.)

As far as the 2.5 secs to reshoulder and aim, all we have to do is pull the gun forward with the weakhand and rotate and we're on target. I can't quote a par time for it right now, but I don't think it's over a second.

Basically, Shawn and I agreed that for loading 4, stronghand load vs. weakhand is a wash. Either you're good or you're not. My *opinion* is that Shawn's technique is going to be faster on average for 8 just because of the ergonomics. I can look the shells right into the port doing it.

I've been waiting to post Shawn's technique (or whoever the heck's it is) online just because Bill Sahlberg has an article submitted to Front Sight and I didn't want to steal his thunder. I'll probably just ask Shawn if I can take some pics and try to post them.

If you can load 5 consistently, I'm just going to pick up the gauntlet right now and pack it in. :o

"As far as the 2.5 secs to reshoulder and aim, all we have to do is pull the gun forward with the weakhand and rotate and we're on target. I can't quote a par time for it right now, but I don't think it's over a second."

All I have to do is pull the trigger, as the gun never left the shooting possision on the shoulder. :D I also brew my own and I would never brew a "light beer" like an IPA, and I don't live in Texas, so I guess I'm ahead all the way around! :DKURTM