Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to maximize your range time efficiency for live-fire training sess

MilkMyDuds

While working full-time with 2 kids to juggle about, I constant struggle to find big blocks of time for my live-fire training. Given that the closest action shooting range is at least 30 min away, e.g. 1 hour round trip, and the fact that the largest chunk of time I can find is 2 hours, it basically meant I have only 1 hour of time at the range each live-fire session.

Now the question is, what is the most efficient way to use this 1 hour at the range. The best I could do is around 180 rounds. This includes the time to set up targets, paste the holes between drills, tear down, pick up brass, etc.

Some steps I have already taken to minimize non-shooting related activities while at the range:

1. Try not to tape the holes after each rep. Instead, tape them only when absolutely have to

2. Try loading the mags ahead of time before the trip

3. Leave the brass behind (this has financial impact on me because I would have to buy brass to reload)

What have you done to maximize your range time efficiency for live-fire training sessions? I really want to hear them. Thanks.

Edited by MilkMyDuds

Maybe get some help? Kids can pickup dropped mags, reload mags for you, re-set / move / tape targets, pick up brass, etc.

Another option might be to see if you can optimize your live-fire. If you can't find more time, perhaps a coach / trainer can ensure you're getting the most of the time you do have.

I wouldn't focus much on the round count. Loading up mags and the other things you mentioned definitely maximize your time but, if you only get 100 or 150 then I'd just make sure those rounds count. 200 is generally what I bring for pistol but there are many a day where I go home with rounds left even though there is plenty of time left. All depends on the drills I have planned for the day.

Make sure you dry fire and practice draws at home so, when you are at the range, you can set up your targets and focus on drills and shot placement. I'd make sure you have a plan and specific drills before you get there.

Since brass is a huge piece of the reloading cost I wouldn't sacrifice the brass. If you make sure your extractor/ejector is tuned to throw your brass behind you then you should be able to get most of it during the break.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Dirty Rod

because i train in the morning before i go to work i basically only have 1 hr per live fire session so i have to be very efficient. here's how i train ...

- i've made my own target stands out of PVC and bring all my own props ... this allows me to setup very quickly once i arrive at the range and not hunt around for equipment

- plan exactly what drills you will shoot before getting to the range. i have enough target stands so that i can setup the 2 or 3 drills for the session and not waste time moving things around when training

- only paste non A hits. it saves time and forces you to not visually score your targets since there are a bunch of holes in it and you can't see where your it went

- don't check your target between every rep unless you know you are having misses

- load all your mags for the session before arriving at the range

- buy enough mags so that you don't have to reload mags during a session. 12 high capacity mags isover 200 rds ...

- when you are done just dump everything in your vehicle and go ... sort out everything when you get home. from my last shot to pulling out of the bay is usually 10 mins ...

- my typical training session is around 200 rds and i'm always done within an hr. you'd be amazed at how many rds you can fire when you have a focused training session ...

While working full-time with 2 kids to juggle about, I constant struggle to find big blocks of time for my live-fire training. Given that the closest action shooting range is at least 30 min away, e.g. 1 hour round trip, and the fact that the largest chunk of time I can find is 2 hours, it basically meant I have only 1 hour of time at the range each live-fire session.

Now the question is, what is the most efficient way to use this 1 hour at the range. The best I could do is around 180 rounds. This includes the time to set up targets, paste the holes between drills, tear down, pick up brass, etc.

Some steps I have already taken to minimize non-shooting related activities while at the range:

1. Try not to tape the holes after each rep. Instead, tape them only when absolutely have to

3. Leave the brass behind (this has financial impact on me because I would have to buy brass to reload)

What have you done to maximize your range time efficiency for live-fire training sessions? I really want to hear them. Thanks.

I think the most important thing is to go to the range already knowing which drills you are going to work on. Also, while shooting steel all the time can cause it's own issue, you might consider buying 2-3 "C" zone steel targets to take the taping out of the equation.

+1 on steel targets. I just sold off my "regular" poppers and picked up some of the MGM auto-poppers. What a time saver those are! They provide all the training benefits of falling steel targets without the need to walk downrange to reset them. Static C-Zone steel or swinging gongs also provide the same benefits.

I am finding myself in the same boat with less and less time to practice. I find that simple is always better. Don't set up anything elaborate. It's amazing how much great practice you can get from a couple of barrels and a piece of steel. As mentioned, tape less and only non A hits. I shoot mostly steel in practice for the positive feedback and so I don't get hung up on shot placement. Lastly, ditch the timer... At least for some of the practice. I often run a timer for the first few passes and then again at the end to see where I am. If I'm out with a buddy, we use the timer for the beep but my practice and drills tend to focus more around developing skill and less around beating the clock.

because i train in the morning before i go to work i basically only have 1 hr per live fire session so i have to be very efficient. here's how i train ...

- i've made my own target stands out of PVC and bring all my own props ... this allows me to setup very quickly once i arrive at the range and not hunt around for equipment

- plan exactly what drills you will shoot before getting to the range. i have enough target stands so that i can setup the 2 or 3 drills for the session and not waste time moving things around when training

- only paste non A hits. it saves time and forces you to not visually score your targets since there are a bunch of holes in it and you can't see where your it went

- don't check your target between every rep unless you know you are having misses

- load all your mags for the session before arriving at the range

- buy enough mags so that you don't have to reload mags during a session. 12 high capacity mags isover 200 rds ...

- when you are done just dump everything in your vehicle and go ... sort out everything when you get home. from my last shot to pulling out of the bay is usually 10 mins ...

- my typical training session is around 200 rds and i'm always done within an hr. you'd be amazed at how many rds you can fire when you have a focused training session ...

All great idea! Thanks a bunch.

I think the most important thing is to go to the range already knowing which drills you are going to work on. Also, while shooting steel all the time can cause it's own issue, you might consider buying 2-3 "C" zone steel targets to take the taping out of the equation.

I am curious as to what issues shooting steel all the time causes.

I guess steel is smaller, and can't be set up too close to you. So you never get to practice shooting fast at close, easy targets - which might make you slower than you really need to be when you see them in a match

If you're not careful, you can get in the habit of listening instead of seeing your sights. Also, if you're using regular steel challenge type targets, you don't really know where you're missing.

I would rather live-fire less often but for more time than have to try to scrunch everything in, but 60-90 mins should be enough to get some constructive work in. The problem with having to hurry is that I think it's tempting to lose focus and end up just going through the motions instead of thinking about what you're doing and learning something from each shot.

the less live-fire time I have, the more I want to focus on dot drills and shot-calling, so as to maximize the effectiveness of my dryfire.

I tried cutting the A zone out of a couple targets, and did a practice session with those. It was a mistake. Your eye needs something to focus on. I wound up hitting the C zone just to the left every time. I swapped out targets, and the his immediately went back to the center on the A zone.

If you're not careful, you can get in the habit of listening instead of seeing your sights. Also, if you're using regular steel challenge type targets, you don't really know where you're missing.

I would rather live-fire less often but for more time than have to try to scrunch everything in, but 60-90 mins should be enough to get some constructive work in. The problem with having to hurry is that I think it's tempting to lose focus and end up just going through the motions instead of thinking about what you're doing and learning something from each shot.

the less live-fire time I have, the more I want to focus on dot drills and shot-calling, so as to maximize the effectiveness of my dryfire.

This^^^^^^

resist the tempetation to hurry just because you have a short training window. plan to do less but be focused. i usually never do more than 2 drills during a session becuase doing any more cuased me to have the exact issue Moto talked about. it will take you longer to reach your goals then someone who can live fire 3x/week and dry fire 6x/week but you should already know this ...