Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 16" bbl recommendations?

Nebwake

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys really need to click the 2nd link in my signature and subscribe. Mark and James are testing the Stretch now and I have been shooting them since the first prototype a year ago. McGowen manufactures the barrel from start to finish and not only is it 100% reliable, it is guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy. This is a Stainless Steel Precision barrel first and foremost. I received all the new barrel profiles this week for content for the Youtube channel. I will be running the ELITE red fluted version on my 3-gun rifle this year.

If you are looking for a 3-gun barrel, you really shouldn't be looking anywhere else.

I have a couple of pics of the barrels here: http://instagram.com/bullittmcqueen3gun/

Edited by Bullittmcqueen

What does the melonite do for the bore? does it shoot out and just stay in the groves?

A simple way of thinking about it, is it coats the bore and barrel, making it slicker and harder for carbon and fouling to accumulate. The end result is you can take an expensive, stainless steel match barrel, that most people would hesitate to use as a run-and-gun 3-gun barrel and utilize it just as you would a CMV mil-spec GI barrel, without having to worry about "shooting out" the barrel. Retains all the accuracy of a match SS barrel but extends barrel life and makes it easier to clean as a plus.

So in my opinion, the best of both worlds.

What does the melonite do for the bore? does it shoot out and just stay in the groves?

Melonite is a case hardening treatment. Two benefits are a lower coefficient of friction and increased wear resistance. Melonite is seen as in improvement over chrome lining. As chrome lining is a surface plating, to retain the original dimensions of the bore, either the bore need to be cut slightly oversized, or some material must be removed before the plating can be applied. This can cause irregularities throughout the length of the bore.

Those are some of the benefits. Another benefit of Melonite is that the imperfections in the bore are minimized which reduces corrosion and erosion cells. Unlike Hard Chrome, it will not lift, crack and create corrosion cells. In most applications, it more than doubles barrel life with minimal accuracy fall off.

Edited by MarkCO

Those are some of the benefits. Another benefit of Melonite is that the imperfections in the bore are minimized which reduces corrosion and erosion cells. Unlike Hard Chrome, it will not lift, crack and create corrosion cells. In most applications, it more than doubles barrel life with minimal accuracy fall off.

The fountain of youth for barrels? Magic beans. This is not some new miracle process, it has been around for a long time, if you expect twice the barrel life your best bet is to buy two barrels.

Having extended barrel life would be melonite treated versus a standard untreated stainless barrel correct?

Having extended barrel life would be melonite treated versus a standard untreated stainless barrel correct?

Yes.

It is not a fountain of youth, just reduces gas port and throat erosion, actually better than chrome lining. No magic or miracle, just simple material surface finish that has been proven many times in many applications.

Hmmm interesting. Ive been wanting to drop some weight from my 3 gun rifle, and going to a fluted stretch 16 would be around 10oz of reduction. Ive been hesitant to go to any 16's due to losing the softness of the 18" rifle gas, but this might be the ticket.

Any thoughts on the fluted versions?

You mentioned JP aluminum bcg, what comp, buffer and spring are you running to achieve this?

The Aluminum BCG is another whole test, but I could not resist...more on that in a few months. :devil:

The Stretch16 with a JP low mass (stainless QPQ), carbine buffer, spring and a DR, Miculek, or Gas Hog has less felt recoil than the 18" Nordics, that are softer shooting than most comparable 18" barrels.

Hmmm interesting. Ive been wanting to drop some weight from my 3 gun rifle, and going to a fluted stretch 16 would be around 10oz of reduction. Ive been hesitant to go to any 16's due to losing the softness of the 18" rifle gas, but this might be the ticket.

Any thoughts on the fluted versions?

If you're wanting to drop weight, this is the way to go along with a really light free float rail.

I am about to build up a fluted upper this weekend and will hopefully shoot it next weekend.

You mentioned JP aluminum bcg, what comp, buffer and spring are you running to achieve this?

My setup is JP silent captured spring, JP LMOS BCG, SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block, and Lantac Dragon.

This setup puts my old 18" rifle gas to shame and its not even close. There's a reason I stopped shooting it in matches.