Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 16" bbl recommendations?

Nebwake

I am looking for a new light-mid weight 16" barrel with mid length gas that has sub MOA potential and not super picky with ammo. I have an 18" Nordic match that I am happy with and would like to stay in that price range ~250 ish. I would just go Nordic, but i noticed their 16" bbl isn't a "match barrel". Not looking for JP price though (someday :)) What would you guys recommend?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased a Nordic 16" barrel last fall and I'm not impressed with the accuracy. (See thread on it elsewhere on the forum). It has since been relegated to practice only on close range hoser targets.

For matches I bought a BHW (Black Hole Weaponry) 16" light weight barrel with mid-length gas system. Very good accuracy (not quite as good as my 18" BHW barrel) and it can be considered a "match quality" barrel.

If you watch their Face Book page, occasionally they run 20% off promo codes.

Yea i saw your thread, and thats one reason i posted this ;). For what its worth, my 18" nordic is one of the most accurate barrels ive shot. It will routinely shoot 1/4" groups at 100 off bags and i can hold it to 2-3" groups at 400 on a calm day. Thanks for the rec on BHW.

Edited by Nebwake

Mark, who makes the stretch 16?

Strong Side Tactical.

Yep. There are 5 versions: http://www.strongsidetactical.com/ar15-ar10-barrels-barrel-assemblies/ and they come with a gas block and tube. These precision barrels are excellent. I have run quite a few rounds through it with a variety of BGs and comps, as has James, and we are both impressed. Wide operating window will allow you to tune it how you want, but a JP aluminum BCG and a light and effective comp...you might put away the 18" guns, :)

Edited by MarkCO

Now I see why its called "stretch".

Looks very promising. Any chance of a detailed review in the future Mark?

I'd say the chances of that are very high. :) I have 2 more 16" barrels to complete my initial test on (14 total 16" barrels tested so far) then the better ones will move on to systems work as I have done with the Stretch16.

I haven't shot one yet but MicroMOA garauntees their barrels to be sub-MOA. They're in your price range.

Looking at the MicroMOA, the only issue I see is the fact it is a 1-7 twist meaning it might not like 55 gn bullets... Im sure itll run long heavy bullets great though.

I haven't shot one yet but MicroMOA garauntees their barrels to be sub-MOA. They're in your price range.

Looking at the MicroMOA, the only issue I see is the fact it is a 1-7 twist meaning it might not like 55 gn bullets... Im sure itll run long heavy bullets great though.

The MicroMOA does appear to have a preference for higher pressure/heavier bullets.

Mark, who makes the stretch 16?

Strong Side Tactical.

Yep. There are 5 versions: http://www.strongsidetactical.com/ar15-ar10-barrels-barrel-assemblies/ and they come with a gas block and tube. These precision barrels are excellent. I have run quite a few rounds through it with a variety of BGs and comps, as has James, and we are both impressed. Wide operating window will allow you to tune it how you want, but a JP aluminum BCG and a light and effective comp...you might put away the 18" guns, :)

That last part made me sit up straight in my home office chair. You've got my attention, Mark!

Thanks to everyone helping to make this an informative thread.

I would give the Faxon 16 inch barrel a look if I was building an upper. We have several in the shop and they look very well made. Other shooter have posted good results with there barrels.

Thank you for the recommendation!

We choose 1/8 twist and have found it ideal for the mentioned applications. Robar Arms has been posting targets with their firearms. We think you will like the results.

Here's our guarantee: You don't like it, we fix it or make it right.

I got one of the Melonite Stretch16s today, I am going to get some rounds downrange on it ASAP. :)

You got the exact one I expect that I would want if I were in the market. Looking forward to your findings.

I'm guessing a Gas Hog or a DR would be good for up front?

I checked out that barrel and it looks great....that's just a big price tag.

Comes with gas block and tube, about a $60-70 value. Cerakote or Melonite finish. I think if you consider the performance and features, it is a great value.