Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soft shooting load for IDPA CDP?

Pitt Bull

Well, heavier bullets with fast-burning going slower tend to feel softer, but it may also make the gun "feel" slower. Snappy recoil tends to feel more harsh in the hand but also "feels" faster. The easiest for you to do if you already have the 200gr bullets is to snag some fast-burning pistol/shotgun powder and give it a try. Solo1000, Bullseye, Red Dot, Promo, etc. Consult a manual for charge weights and adjust accordingly until you acheive a consistent velocity around 850 fps (170pf) over a decent chrono.

I prefer Solo 1000 for my major loads, because is not very temp sensitive, it meters well and is very clean. It is also not as sensitive to primer brissance as some other powders.

I load 200gr LSWC and 200gr LTC bullets. 4.9ge will make Major with the LSWC and WLP at 169PF with SDs of 9.58.

I prefer to go just slightly hotter (just in case) so my standard is 5.0gr. That gives me the following:

15-round strings, 56 deg temp

200gr LSWC, WLP = 173PD and SD 7.47

200gr LSWC, CCI 300 = 172PF and SD 7.72

200gr LTC, WLP = 171PF and SD 8.52

200gr LTC, CCI 300 = 169PF and SD 13.26 I'll probably retest this one. However, I use WLP for matches and the CCi for practice, so maybe I won't bother

If you can find Clay Dot it can be used as a direct replacement for Clays. 4.1gr under a 200 SWC averages 875 FPS/175 PF out of my 5" barrel 45's and is very soft and accurate. 5.0gr of Titegroup averages 890 FPS/178 PF, is a touch snappier but not bad and very accurate.

I was unaware that IDPA has power factors.

But any "soft shooting" round will probably require you to load several of different charges to ake sure it will even cycle the gun.

As a rule though heavier bullets and faster powders will be what your looking for.

I load 3.1gr of TG under 230 RN.

I was unaware that IDPA has power factors.

But any "soft shooting" round will probably require you to load several of different charges to ake sure it will even cycle the gun.

As a rule though heavier bullets and faster powders will be what your looking for.

I load 3.1gr of TG under 230 RN.

CDP needs to make 165.

Have you chronoed that load?

Edited by himurax13

Thank you for the info. So I take it that IDPA basiclly follows USPA for power factors and not just differs in catagories.

As far as chrono-ing goes,I did and know it falls short of 165. Velocity would need to be at 720 with a 230gr bullet to make 165.

Thank you for the info. So I take it that IDPA basiclly follows USPA for power factors and not just differs in catagories.

As far as chrono-ing goes,I did and know it falls short of 165. Velocity would need to be at 720 with a 230gr bullet to make 165.

Well SSP and ESP have a PF minimum of 125. CDP has to be .45 ACP and a PF of 165. I believe SSR is 115.

I doubt any club Chronographs anyone's loads unless it is a sanctioned match.

Edited by himurax13