Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.1/1.25 Variables vs. JP Handguard Irons

Religious Shooter

I usually use an Accupoint 1.25-4X. The extra .25 gives me enough problems that it slows me down on the hoser stages. I've been trying a version of KurtM's "occluded" style --- I raise up my cheekweld to where I don't get a full clear scope picture and use the bright triangle as the aiming point but not look "through the scope."

This technique is definitely faster than the 1.25X but the POA and POI is off enough that I don't feel comfortable with headshots using this technique. Furthermore using USPSA scoring (vs. two shots to neutralize) I'd probably loose a gang of points for not consistently hitting the A zone.

After watching the Burkett video I'm again thinking of a secondary sight in Tactical. The Armson is out for SMM3G and I have a feeling that USPSA and the other bodies will not allow it for tactical.

So that leaves the JP as a secondary sight in Tactical.

http://www.jprifles.com/DetachableSights.shtml

But I hesitate to get it since (at least to me) it seems that JP may be slower 'cuz you have to align the front at rear. Whereas you don't need to with the optic.

Has anybody compared a non-true 1X variable (at the low end) vs. the JP irons?

RS

I run a Leupold 1x4 scope and a JP Tactical sight on my CTR-02. I find little difference speed wise between the two on close range targets where there is no movement. Where the JP sight really shines is when I'm engaging close targets on the move and also on stages where there are a mix of close and long targets. On those stages I can crank the power up on the scope to engage the long targets and use the JP sight for the close. If the stage is a close range stand and shoot stage, I will usually just use the scope on 1x and not use the JP sight.

If I shot tactical or open, I'd use a globe front sight with post, canted off to the side, as close to the muzzle as possible. Hopefully that, without a rear sight, would be enough for close targets. If your cheek weld is off, you see the sides of the globe instead of a circle.

I currently shoot Limited with a post in a globe front sight and it is amazing on close targets. I don't use the rear sight up close.

• 2 weeks later...

Latewatch (or anyone who has the JP),

Where do you have the JP mounted?

Have you tried mounting it towards the chamber (right before the ejection port)?

On barricade shooting where you jamb the right side (where the JP would be located) of the handguard against the barricade, does the JP get in the way?

Do you take it on and off? If you do, how repeatable is it?

On barricade shooting where you jamb the right side (where the JP would be located) of the handguard against the barricade, does the JP get in the way?

Exactly why I have my handguard mounted J-Point as far back towards the receiver as possible. Don’t want to bust it off when I get aggressive with barricades, which I do. It also gets it out of the way of any possible weak hand position on the handguard I may wind up using for whatever reason.

--

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I have mine mounted all the way forward at about 1:30pm. Since the picatiney adapter didn't line up with the handguard slots, I just drilled and tapped the handguard to accept the rail adapter screws. I have never removed it after sighting in to see if it changes. The front sight remains sharp at this position and for me would be out of focus mounted rearward. So far, no problem with barricades or other positions. I did snap off the original plastic front sight during adjustment and replaced it with a regular steel front sight. If you are going to be in Palm Springs this Sunday, check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out the specs for the simmons 822011 1.5-5x32 (Shotgun) Black Matte 9-5.3 55-20 3.

The eye relief is good, exit pupil is fine, but the field of view at 1.5 of 55 is rather small.

This month shotgun news has good article on 1-4 CQB scopes, although they are expensive ones.

Here is two more scopes to consider the Simmons 899608 1.5-5x20 WA Black Matte 13.3-4 FOV 76-23.5 3.4eye relief 9.5 10.75 price around $60.00 and

leupold 58790 $170.00

Product Specifications

Actual Magnification: 1.6(1x) 4.2(4x)

Length (in): 9.2

Eyepiece Length (in): 3.1

Objective Length (in): n/a

Objective Diameter (in): 1.0

Eyepiece Diameter (in): 1.0

Tube Diameter: 1.0in

Weight: 9.0 oz. / 255 grams

Eye Relief (in): 4.3(1x) 3.8(4x)

Eye Relief (mm): 109(1x) 97(4x)