Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas State 3-Gun Championship

Here we go again! The third annual USPSA Texas State 3-Gun Championship, 21 and 22 May 2005 in San Angelo, Texas...ten fun and challenging stages with a Coney Island flair! Compete in Open, Limited, or Tactical class under USPSA rules (hopefully sanctioned, although we WILL score major/minor rifle/pistol combined stages, and will NOT direct target engagement with specific weapons ;) ), with snazzy trophies awarded per class and division. Ranges vary from point blank to 200 yards and shotgun targets includes flying clays, steel, and paper (slugs). All stages are the innovative and fiendish types made famous through eight successive Carter Martin Classics, the '01 Texas State Limited, and the '03/'04 Texas State 3-Guns!

Our goal this year: parity. Each weapon (pistol, rifle, shotgun) will have the same number of scored rounds...

Comments: Reasonably priced tasty food available on site (I'm not just the match director, I'm a competitor...and nothing annoys me more than overpriced substandard chow at matches ). Still working on venders and the prize table (the first two matches had a "visit by random drawing" surprise prize table...which won't be much of a surprise this year, but includes a lot more "stuff"). Our local school booster club will be on hand, helping reset targets and recovering brass...save your energy for shooting!

The RO match will be held 14-15 May.

Entry forms? Oh, I have entry forms!

www.sanangelogunclub.org

This match is brought to you by a whole host of the best and brightest sponsors, including our match sponsor MGM Targets :wub: !

Questions? I'm here for you!

Alex Wakal

Match Director

2005 TS3G

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alex... would sure like to visit my old alma mater at "Goodfellow" and see what San Angelo looks like 30 years after, but we dont get out of school till the following week...maybe you could keep this in mind for next years match.... good luck with the match... Les... old and decrepit 202

Chet,

Just to set the record straight(er)...that club quit having them. Quit. As in "no more matches, stick a fork in HCPCC, they are done with Texas State 3-Gun." Quit. Thus there were NO annual Texas State 3-Gun matches until San Angelo cowboy'ed up and decided to hold matches. Now...the Texas State 3-Gun is held here in San Angelo. And this is the third one. Held every year. Annually, even. The third one, thus the tag line "Third Annual." Just to...set the record straight :P

Trapr who?

Sorry, didn't recognize you without the dawg... :lol:

Try this link: www.sanangelogunclub.org (the form is linked right to the first page). Or, there is a direct link off the "Major Match" page of www.uspsa.org :)

Yours,

Alex

Alex,

What do you want the Army guys to do? We usually send in our App to secure a slot and pay upon arrival since we currently have no control over our lives. Thanks for your help. Adios

Greg

...that club quit having them. Quit. As in "no more matches, stick a fork in HCPCC, they are done with Texas State 3-Gun." Quit.

Heeheheheh... I gotta agree with you here. Not only quit having state 3-gun championships, but ANY matches. :o

I'm very glad that your group has come up to bat and hold this match again. I hear nothing but the best about y'all and the match! B)

-Chet

Shot it last year and all I can say was everything was perfect exept for what felt like 35mph wind gusts whipping me upside the head while I am trying to shoot my icy cold rifle at 200 yard targets that I could barely see with iron sights. Otherwise, it was an awesome match.

35mph wind gusts whipping me upside the head while I am trying to shoot my icy cold rifle at 200 yard targets that I could barely see with iron sights

Now that actually sounds like fun ;-) But only at 200?

Sounds like you guys are doing a great job down there in San Angelo. I may have to talk the wife into putting up with the drive to Texas for this one. How’s the local grub and accomodations? If I make Robin happy with the destination, I’m in. She love‘s good barbecue (and so do I). I’m thinking that West Texas should provide pretty darned good Q.

--

Regards,

George,

Plenty of hotel rooms fairly inexpensive, but good. None of the natives is missing any meals.

Food at the match will be great this year, too. It will be provided by a group from a neighboring town which will also provide the range help.

GeneralChang,

You shouldn't have to hold a freezing rifle this year. The weather should cooperate in May.

Liota

The weather is always the hardest part of the match ;)

There are still slots available...this is a 500-plus-round match put on by serious 3-Gun competitors, on a well-established range built by shooters for shooters. Did I mention the free tee-shirts?

I'm still working on the "royal" treatment for the RO/pre-match, though. The regular match (should) have the "royal/South American" style shooting...just show up and shoot, someone else will paste your targets and retrieve your brass. Man, I'm jealous!

Alex

royal/South American" style shooting...just show up and shoot, someone else will paste your targets and retrieve your brass. Man, I'm jealous!

Man, I am too!

I have always said that a few extra bucks is worth it if stuff like this can be arranged. If you are doing this within the existing match fee cash flow, then you are definitely doing a good job management wise.

I am starting to think this has to be the “must go to” 3 gun match for 05. If the grub is as good as you said earlier and I just get to sit, watch and prep for every stage, then you have the best selling points to a match I have seen. Can I drive up and park near the stages, or are there going to be caddie’s for the shooters too? :P

Seriously, that really is a cool thing Alex. I just might have to figure out how to get my sorry-a$$ down there this year.

--

Regards,

All our bays (except for the 200 yard bay, which we borrow from the rifle complex a few hundred yards from the pistol complex) are located....around...the parking lot :)

This match doubles as a fund raiser for one of the local schools. Their booster club is providing 50 or 60 folks to "work" on site during the match, as well as cook breakfast and lunch both days. We are planning to either assign "helpers" to stages, or (more likely) assign them to each squad. For this, we are generously supporting the booster club ;)

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Our match sponsor, MGM, is the reason that we won't have to score long-range paper targets ( ;) )!

And...the prize table is turning into a prize heap! So far, the stat shack is stuffed with impressive stack of goodies from Midway, Magnaport, Dillon, Taylor's, Fobus, Stoney-Wolf, Dixie Gunworks, Oklahoma Leather, DPMS, Timney, Oehler, Ace Stocks, EOTech, Harris Engineering, Lauer Custom Weaponry, Trijicon, Edgecraft, Matz, Silencio, Sierra, Camp Chef, Dreadnaught Industries, WF Custom Guns, and Cookshack. Pending are all sorts of stuff from our friends at Sabre Defence, XS, Glock, STI, Taurus, Cavalry Arms, Larue Tactical...

Not just 600 rounds of 3-Gun madness, not just being treated like a South American shooter on his home turf, and not just a range actually close to a real city AND an airport...we have 'stuff' too :)

Now would be a good time to get your application in: www.sanangelogunclub.org , as the match is starting to fill up!

Alex

Thanks to XS Sights ( http://www.xssights.com/ ), I've added seven (7) sets of your choice of XS's comprehensive line of excellent, hard use sights to the prize table!

This isn't technically a prize table match, yet I'm getting close to $7k in goodies (including rifles and a pistol) with two months to go :)

All that and a free tee-shirt!

Finalized the stages today...right around 150 rounds per weapon, with plenty of steel and moving targets to keep things interesting. This is a Coney Island match, after all :wub:

Alex

To answer a bunch of PM's and emails all at once...

The Texas State 3-Gun is NOT full...YET...

I have 30-odd slots left. Now would be a good time to get your entry in the mail :)

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a bunch of questions about the rules for the Texas State 3-Gun.

Bottom line: the first and second (San Angelo) Texas State 3-Gun Championships were sanctioned and approved by USPSA (thanks, Mister Amidon!).

However...we cannot, in good conscience, run a match of the high caliber (no pun intended) of the Texas State 3-Gun under the jury-rigged USPSA multi-gun rules. While My Hero (Bruce Gary) worked very hard putting these rules together, there were specific oddball rules foisted off on him by board members who have not only a complete lack of background and knowledge of 3-Gun, but a complete and total lack of interest in 3-Gun. Until those few non-3-Gun board members step back and let those who know and care about 3-Gun to fix the mistakes...these problems will not be corrected no matter how much the hard-working and dedicated board members who know and love 3-Gun try. Reference the many 3-Gun scoring and rules discussion on this, the premier action shooting forum on the net..over the past year. With nothing done by USPSA in all that time. I've talked directly to Dave Thomas and Bruce Gary about this, and they agree that it needs to be fixed. But...time is running out for the 2005 TX3G.

I like USPSA better than anything else out there, by far. I want USPSA to be THE gold standard in 3-Gun, just like it is the gold standard in action pistol. However...these specific jury-rigged USPSA Multi-Gun rules will not apply at the Texas 3-Gun:

Shotgun 5.2.5.3 (stating that competitors can't change or otherwise move their shotgun equipment configuration or placement during the entire match...silly at best, and not enforced at the 2004 USPSA 3-Gun Nationals... If you shot the 3-Gun Nationals and took your zip tube pouch off, you broke the rules. Nice.)

MG (vi) (no "major/minor" scoring on combined weapon stages. We will score major/minor rifle/pistol on combined stages, as we successfully did in 2003 and 2004. We understand that not every club has a stats genius like our own Professor McCoy...but we do... ;) ).

MG (viii) ("single scoring zone" This is a patently ridiculous work-around to a problem that Professor McCoy figured out how to fix two years ago...by scoring rifle and pistol hits separately on the competitor's score sheet and maintaining those scores...)

MG 10.5.3 ("abandoned weapons must be empty" Superstition Mountain had no problem with "empty or on safe" with near enough to 300 competitors last week. Our first two matches debuted our "bunkered" long gun concept; safe is safe. Competitors won't go downrange of the business end of a loaded gun...just like SMM3G and the 2003/2004 TX3G).

Clear as mud :)

Alex