Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp Removal

Paul-the new guy

Use a torch or some kind of flame... much quicker, just keep the flame moving around the comp near the barrel. No need to heat the whole comp. Put the barrel in a vise as shown but I would space it an inch or two from the vise. With the flame moving it should only take 2 or 3 minutes to break down the LocTite. No set screws, right?

You will be surprised how quick and easy it comes off. Just keep the flame moving and don't burn yourself.

Easy peasy!

If you are running a metal scope mount, a big azzed soldering iron on the head of the screw for a few seconds will usually work. (I have one if you need) Don't do that if you are using a serendipity.

If you are using a torch to remove the comp, have you used a spreader attachment? It might help distribute the heat easier so you can heat the parts more uniformly.

I've removed loctited parts with a heat gun as it heats parts uniformly without creating hot spots, but as Pat says it takes a little longer than a flame. Also, as mentioned, don't bottlecap it in a vise...the vise acts as a heat sink and you will have a hard time getting the parts hot enough.

If you don't want to over heat the metal. You can always put it in your oven at 450.... It takes a little bit about 20-30 minutes, but you don't have to worry about over heating it as you'll control the temp..... If you do this with the Cmore mount. Then make sure it's just the frame and mount. No plastics.

If you don't want to over heat the metal. You can always put it in your oven at 450.... It takes a little bit about 20-30 minutes, but you don't have to worry about over heating it as you'll control the temp..... If you do this with the Cmore mount. Then make sure it's just the frame and mount. No plastics.

not married are ya.

I only used the oven once.

not married are ya.

I only used the oven once.

Not that.... I just run my house lol