Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 gr Moly bullet and Tite-group

Bear23

I'm using a 180 gr. Moly round nose bullet (Billy Bullet)

4.4 gr Tite-group

OAL at 1.2"

Nickel speer case.

STI .40 Edge 5"

Anyone else use a load similar to this??? I'll be chronoing the load soon and benching it for accuracy. Will a Moly bullet be as accurate as say, a zero or montana gold 180 gr JHP??

Sorry if this may have been threaded already, i've searched and found very little info on moly bullets and limited major loads.

Thanks for any help.

robert

Back when we were still able to get Precision 185's, I used them exclusively and found them to be as accurate as any FMJ bullet. I never bought in to the JHP philosophy of them being more accurate because 90% of all our shots are less than 20yds. The JHP idea seems to be the solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

4.4 grains of TG might not get you major though, I used 4.9 and that got me 169pf out of my Edge. As soon as Precisions become available again, I'll be using them.

Drifting... JHP's are not more accurate than FMJ's. However, FMJ's have an exposed lead base and will lead the barrel more than most other bullets. JHP's will also require less powder for the same weight bullet to produce the same velocity when compared to a FMJ. The black bullets are similar to any bullet without a soft lead base.

.40 Reloading Data

Looks like 4.7-4.9g might be better to make major.

Thanks sfinney,

That's probably the load i'm going to use. Friend of mine uses exactly the same load but with a JHP, MG.

I've got a bunch of tite-group laying around and want to use it up. I like the VV320 better for the limited gun.

For a Glock 35 with KKM barrel I used to use 180gr Lasercast or Bear Creek Moly over 4.5gr Titegroup at 1.130 OAL. 3.2gr at the same OAL for GSSF/Speed Steel type matches. (4.7gr N320 makes 167pf at this OAL)

For my STI, I'm loading 5gr N320 under 180gr jacketed at 1.200, or 4.7gr N320 for the 180gr Molys.

You'll likely have to bump the charge .2 if using a plated/jacketed bullet over what you use for lead or moly coated.

Guest Larry Cazes
JHP's are not more accurate than FMJ's

Well, it really has to do with the bullet profile and how aerodynamic it is. MG JHPs are pretty long with a gradually tapered point which leads to them being more stable and thus more accurate than most FMJs I've tried.

Why yes, it is!

Deming aint going down, they are just in a lull! Is Markie taking care of you?

Texas is great, love the people, hate the rain and or humidity! I dont know if they are too crazy about me though

Kevin

What do you mean we arent crazy about you Kevin. We all talk to you in the car and resturaunt. We just dont talk to you at the range :P

Dan and a couple of guys are going to Double tap on Sunday. I have to go to Washington D.C. this weekend for F.O.P. business, so I cant make it. You need to get in touch with Dan and you guys can hook up and travel together. He might even talk to you at the match since none of the other team members are there.

Dave

Yep, Ole Mark is helping me out quite a bit. The man is a fountain of knowledge. I will try to make it out to the Double Tap range. thanks for the load info. I've got several to try here for my Limited gun.

I'm going to compare Tite-group to VV320 and see which works better for me.

robert

Titegroup is cheaper definitely (about $5 a pound cheaper). I found that N320 meters better, my charges are more consistent, and the shape of the powder makes for more volume used in the cases thereby making visual detection of charges easier (for me at least). I'm not likely to change unless N320 disappears from the market. I'll pay the extra $20 for a 4lb. jug.

Bear,

I havent tried 320 or any Vh. powder for that matter, but a local GM tells me that his 320 major load feels softer than titegroup. Take it for what it is, but that was HIS feeling.

I feel truly loved Sgt. Glock!

Have fun in D.C.

Kevin

When I was shooting Moly coated bullets (Bear creek 180's) I had good luck with a book max of 231 making major. Once I switched to jacketed and/or plated bullets, I switched over to 4.7 of Titegroup and haven't looked back. I shoot a factory Para Barrel and Slide.

Vince

OK,

was able to chrono this weekend, but only briefly due to continued rain here in the southwest.

TEMP 50 degrees, overcast.

STI edge 5" .40

4.6 g titegroup

OAL at 1.2

180 gr moly round nose bullet

avg fps 950

PF 171

4.3 gr of the Tite-goup gave me a 166.6 PF

Both were easy to shoot and controllable.

• 1 month later...

for those loading short, 3.9 grainds TG and 180 bear creek at 1.135 inches makes major at 167 pf.

i have some of the new 185 grain precision bullets on the way.

just an observation, titegroup load seems to be louder than expected..louder than UMC factory loads as well as my IPSC load with universal clays...

Interesting. I once made some loads for my S&W 646. 4.0 gr TG, fed primer and 1.125" they made 171 PF. I shot these in Lubbock for an IDPA match thinking i was around 135 PF... Boy was i wrong. Overall, it wasn't too bad to shoot em. Very loud load indoors.. this was an indoor match.

maybe the less recoil came from a steel framed gun

when i fire one of mine off, theres little doubt in my mind that its a major power load...

lots more recoil and noise compared to 147 mouse-fart 9mms.