Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloader looking for advice

Combsie

Gun- CZ SP01 Tactical 9mm with the spgk1 spring kit and 13lb recoil spring

Powder- 3.25gr Titegroup

Bullet- Xtreme 147 hpcb

OAL- 1.125

Out of 15 rounds fired, 14 were between 940 and 947fps with the remaining round going 932fps. The temperature was 36. Through my math, I averaged around a 138PF. Will it be beneficial for me to get down to 130PF or is there not a noticeable difference? I'm only able to go as low as 3.25gr with the Lee Autodisk right now. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

I found the lee micro bar a pain at low charges. would often light charge or not charge at all.

what size (in cc) disc opening are you using now?

they do make a set of micro disks with smaller holes and also make a dual disc kit which enables you to stack 2 discs to get more options of charges weights (works better with larger loads though, probably no help with a tiny load).

OP, since you cannot lower the charge, is it possible for you to load the bullets longer and still pass the plunk test?

I run 147g Bear Creeks with 3.2g of Titegroup with an OAL of 1.130" and I get right around 130 PF out of my Australian Shadow. I have noticed that Bear Creeks are a little slower than pure lead rounds and roughly equal to FMJ rounds.

Edited by himurax13

Production Div. requires a 125 PF. Since you are using an SP01 Tactical, unless this is modified into a SA, I am assuming that you are in this division. There is not much benefit in doing a higher PF in Production Division. 125 to 130 should be enough unless you want more bang and significant recoil. With the Lee Autodisk, you will be limited to the opening for your charge. To fine-tune this, grab a piece of a big plastic straw similar to the ones used in Bubble Tea/Smoothie. Cut squarely to the thickness of the Lee Autodisk. Open one side cutting from top to bottom. Roll and insert into the Lee Autodisk Opening. You can make some adjustments by making it thicker or thinner and powder drop will get you into fractional grain. Works for me with TG, W231 and Bullseye. I generally use 3.2 to 3.4 gr TG against a 135 gr Epoxy Coated LRN. Soft recoil on both my SP01 Shadowline and 85 Combat.

Safe Shooting!

In my Glock I can feel the recoil difference between a 130PF and a 135+.

I could feel the same with my Glock or PPQ, but it's a different ballgame with a steel framed gun like the CZ SP01.

I'd certainly consider loading some up a bit lighter, and then just load 'em for accuracy - if it winds up at 135PF +/- as the best/most accurate load, and using only in the CZ, go for it, IMO.