Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold Team open gun .38 Super or 9mm?

mwc

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scope mount is a Cheely, from his VIP run :ph34r:

I haven't shot it over a chrono yet, but I plan to this month and if it performs like I expect it to I plan to make the three 12 o'clock holes bigger.

To your original question: 9 or 38

If you're going to get an off the shelf V12 GT I recommend a 38, but if you're going to build something custom I would start with a 9mm Limited. Reason being that I'm not really enjoying 38 because of the brass, but I had a 9mm V12 for a time and it is pretty hard on the gun to make major. 8.3gr of HS6 under a 124gr only made 164pf in my 9mm GT, that was as high as I ever went :surprise: I never shot that load through any of my other Open guns because it only took 7.8gr to get 176pf in my CZ TS Open gun.

I've heard tales of "soft lugs" and "soft slides" on 9mm GTs, but I think the reality is that a steady diet of ammo that hot would chew up any gun in short order. My regular 175pf 9mm load in a 5.1" barrel with no holes only makes 158pf in a V12 GT barrel.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Yeah the problem with the v12s is all the holes. Means you need a hotter load than most. In 9mm that can be marginal.

I'm loving my 38 super v12 gold team. Shoots very nicely. It's basically standard with just a 90 mount, henning magwell and mag bases. It runs so reliably.

Is agree with atlas. If you are going to buy a limited then add your own comp/barrel then 9 is a good option. If buying a gold team buy the super version. :) after all it's good enough for Eric.... Lol

some more gold team pics. to help you decide. :)

This one is not mine. was on matt cheely's site. got a cut back dust cover, cut out spring tunnel in the slide, and a slightly modified V8 comp as well as the cheely 90 mount, henning trigger, pin slide pin and egw hammer. noice. :) all it needs is a henning magwell to be perfect. notice it's also had the factory slide serrations partly removed at both ends. it's a cool looking tanfo. would shoot pretty nicely too I'd guess.

post-50660-0-42204300-1421303392_thumb.j

here's some pics of my Eric Gold Custom 2010 (as it's called in eu and ROTW markets).

first few are basically as I got it. next are stage 1 of it's conversion for my preferences (added 90 mount, added some grip tape to the grips, magwell and mag bases). It looks even different again now. but you get the idea. :)

post-50660-0-85386100-1421303794_thumb.j

post-50660-0-46690700-1421303816_thumb.j

v1.1

post-50660-0-55737700-1421303938_thumb.j

post-50660-0-76414600-1421303981_thumb.j

post-50660-0-65002000-1421304147_thumb.j

Edited by BeerBaron

BTW, I love kneelingatlas's "John Gold custom 2014 V7".

it's got lots of cool detail. lightened slide at the rear (serrations removed), cut back dust cover, 3 port barrel with 4 ports in the comp (hence the Y7) and the 2 chamber comp with larger chamber. plus all the other goodies, henning magwell, henning hammer, cheely mount, flat trigger etc. it will shoot even better I reckon once you makes those ports just a little bigger. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Killer looking guns, i have found a good deal on a v12 in 38 and i think i am going to pull the trigger on it. I have read about these guns being quite violent compared to 2011 open guns. What do you guys think?i was shocked to see only 7.6grs of AC making major in one of these it took around 7.4 with a 115 Haps in my gun to do it so not that much difference.

Also do the guns come with any kind of optic mount i had read they do and dont so want to clarify it.

Also do these guns have any weakness that causes issues?

It may come with or without the optic and mount. If it doesn't you can easily get one. The factory tanfog mount is actually good or if you want to go 90 mount DAA sell one or you may be able to find a cheely mount. Then just add a cmore slide ride in whatever size dot you want (6,8 or 12 moa is most popular for ipsc).

They are certainly more lively than say a regular full size trubor sti but do shoot nice and flat with a good load. Win autocomp wouldn't be my first choice for powder. Vv n350, 3n38, n105 would all be good.

I'd be surprised if 7.6 of ac make major in a v12 but give it a try.

They are not for everyone but I love mine. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi I recently got my gold team with a v12 barrel 9mm. What would be the best supplies for loading.

Powder? Grain?

Bullet? Grain?

I have 3 kinds of powder one is power pistol, vv 3n37 and IMR 4756

I wash going to try the vv 3n37 power for a 7.4gr and use xtreme HPCH 124gr.

Any aadvice is welcome and much appreciated!

thanks

Hi I recently got my gold team with a v12 barrel 9mm. What would be the best supplies for loading.

Powder? Grain?

Bullet? Grain?

I have 3 kinds of powder one is power pistol, vv 3n37 and IMR 4756

I wash going to try the vv 3n37 power for a 7.4gr and use xtreme HPCH 124gr.

Any aadvice is welcome and much appreciated!

thanks

Not many will have a 9mm load to share for the V12 GT. Most people shoot it in super. To be honest even in super my 3N38 load (10.4gn) is slightly compressed using a 124gn RN CMJ at 1.245 OAL. It's getting close to a full case.

I think 3N37 will be a good powder in a 9mm or possibly win auto comp. both should allow you to make major using a 124GN RN CMJ or FMJ.

I think the load you mentioned seems like a good place to start. You definitely need a chrono to work up a load and keep a good eye on pressure signs. I run fed small rifle in mine. I ran out the other day and ran a few batches of fed small pistoi (which with my old 10.2gn load were fine) but with my now 10.4gn load and my new extended firing pin they have a very deep strike in them. none were pierced but they can't have been far off. So I will stick with SRP.

Kneelingatlas do you personally have the same gun? I have 3 recoil spring what lbs spring is better for the load?

Once upon a time I had a 9mm V12 on a Hunter frame, but I didn't shoot it very much.

I use the lightest spring which still strips the next round, usually 8-10# for me (lighter than those which come from the factory).

Edited by kneelingatlas

I just saw your post. Kneelingatlas yours is sexy. I have the same barrel you have and a v12.

What's your load data?

My Y7 is a 38 and for comparison on my chrono outing with it, it made 168pf with 9.1gr of SP2 (almost identical to 3N38) under a 124gr bullet while Beer Baron uses 10.4gr of powder in the V12.