Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 jams

rr4406pak

During shooting at matches the bolt holds open (with the round visible in the port), I give the bolt a little nudge and it chambers and fires fine.

Does this 1 out of every 30 rounds.

​Frustratingly wasting time bumping the bolt forward at matches. :angry2:

I used to be able to change the mag spring and it would fix the issue. This no longer solves the problem.
The M2 has about 2000 rounds on it, C-Rums welded lifter, never changed any other spring on it (besides mag spring).

Oiling the heck out of it sometimes helps but the problem creeps back. Help.

Thanks.

Pictures would help if you can replicate the problem.

Lots of different schools of thought on oiling the the Benneli. I know that I caused an issue with my M2 by overlubing it with too heavy of a lubricant. You can look through my old posts and see a before and after video demonstrating what my over lubrication issue caused. After I cleaned out all the old lube and cleaned the recoil spring, I also started storing the gun barrel down to keep lube from accumulating back on the recoil spring. I've had far less issues out of the gun since I changed those things. Prior to that I was replacing springs, toying with spring weights and scratching my head as to what the real problem was. Hopefully your problem is a simple one too!

Check the extractor groove cut in the barrel for a sharp edge that can hang the shell.

Is there a picture somewhere that shows exactly where I'd need to file?

Love to post a pic of the jam but it only seems to happen during matches. :angry2:

I'd guess the bolt is all the way back when it jams but not sure.

Would there be any other springs I'd need to change besides the carrier spring? Isn't there one in the stock somewhere (tried to research this but can't find anything on Brownells but carrier and mags springs).

If you look close is the rim of the shell hitting the bolt release lever in the receiver. Mine does that and a slight nudge and it goes into battery. Not sure what the fix is for that.

This. My M2 had that issue for a while and my fix was removing some material from the offending spot on the bolt release and then polishing it up.

I might be wrong on this one, but, in my opinion about 50% or more of shotgun related issues have to do with ammunition. I would suggest you try another brand and or more powerful ammunition at the next match. My M2 will run on 1 1/8 at 1150 99% of the time but if im in a position where the gun cant recoil much ill get the occasional shudder. 1 1/8, WIN AA target I think, works a little better. I have also found that the AL base cap shells don't work quite as well. I suspect that if the issue is related to the last shell only, it could also have to do with the magazine spring as when there are other shells in the gun you in effect get more tension to throw that shell out and onto the lifter.

Try different ammo first and see what happens.

Maybe your mag spring is weak.

I experienced this with my VM.

Seems I had cut my mag tube spring too short. So the last few rounds in the tube just didn't pop out on the carrier with any authority.

It was intermittent which confused me further.

New mag spring cut longer solved it.

rr I don't have a pic but if you look at the bolt release when the release lets a shell out of the tube the back of the release pushes into the receiver and drags on the rim of the shell on the lifter. Wondering if a small bend in the release might fix it.

I reduced the size of the step, angled it a bit, and polished it. That stopped the shells from causing the bolt to hang up just as it started its forward movement. The step I'm referring to is above the centerline of the spring.

IMG_0079.jpg

• 1 month later...
rboyes, can you put a red circle in your picture where you reduced the size of the step and polished?

I have no idea what I'm looking at in that picture.

Also, is thee a video anywhere on how to change out the carrier spring on an M2? Thanks.

Edited by rr4406pak

Rboyes, theoretically the shell RIM can't get that far back and it angles under lift, but I think you have a nice little idea there, it sure can't hurt and it sure might eliminate a potential snag...NIIIICCEEE!!!

No reason to replace the tube unless yours is real rusty inside or bent. The spring on the otherhand I like to change every 5-10,000 rounds. I like to run just a stock spring, but a few folks swear by the Taran tactical lighter spring.