Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the right number... ?

What is the right minimum number and assortment of Dillon machines ?

May I propose three 1050.

• One dedicated to 45 ACP
  • One dedicated to your rimmed revolver cartridge, e.g., either 44 Special or 44 Magnum
  • One dedicated to general rifle loading
  • And a fourth 1050 if you load anything with a small primer, e.g., 14 Walker.

Two 650.

• One for large primer.
  • One for small primer.

Two 550.

• One each for the two primer sizes.

All these machines can be properly spaced around a single 4 x 8 workbench placed in the center of a garage leaving all four sides available for use -- a total of 24 feet of workbench frontage.

Each cartridge / bullet / powder charge combination should have a dedicated toolhead, e.g., one 1050 toolhead for the 45 200 SWC and another dedicated toolhead for the 45 230 RN-FMJ.

What say ye ?

Edited by Hammer1

That's pretty much similar to my setup basman. I have a RL550b for .223, and 38spl. A RL550b for .45acp, and I have a XL650 w/ case feeder, and Mr Bullet Bullet Feeder on the way. It will handle my 9mm , and .40s&w. I usually load about 5-6k .40s&w, and around 20k 9mm per year. I also load 6k+ .223, but I really like loading my .223s on the 550 since I use 2 different tool heads (1 for sizing, and 1 for loading).

I also have 2 RCBS Rock Chuckers for my bench, and hunting loads.

.All these machines can be properly spaced around a single 4 x 8 workbench placed in the center of a garage leaving all four sides available for use -- a total of 24 feet of workbench frontage.

You probably can't count all the frontage as the corners will share space on the bench, probably closer to 16-18 feet of usable frontage.

But I like where you are going with this. :goof:

I don't think there is a right number.

I do all of my reloading inside vs the garage so I couldn't mount everything on the bench at the same time. Instead I have all of the mounts to fit in the drilled and tapped bench top. It's faster to unbolt a press and bolt another on than to convert one over.

IMAG1210.jpg

IMAG1256.jpg

If you have the room though...

IMG_20140424_192918_zps1e5b242b.jpg

Edited by jmorris

2x 1050s one manual and one with auto drive.

1x 650.

1x single stage for precision loading.

Here is my manual 1050 and 650. I am building a new bench for all presses and case pro.

80ABBA73-57C4-4DE8-97F4-8D06C2443174_zps

Edited by Kaskillo

My name is Revo, and I am a reloadaholic!

I was at 4 1050's , 6 square deals,

1050's: 9x21, 38 super major, 38 super comp major, 38 super comp minor, (with conversion kits for 38 spl, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 9MM) but it takes to long to change over!

Square deals, .38 short colt, 38 spl, 38 super (minor), 40 S&W, 45 ACP,

& 9MM.

But after therapy!

I am down to 3 1050's & 3 SQD B's, (I did drop 40 all together & since I don't shoot 9mm much, I can buy 9MM cheaper than wasting hard to find components!) I perfer new brass & quality jacketed bullets...............

What is the right minimum number and assortment of Dillon machines ?

ONE. Everyone should have a MINIMUM of one Dillon machine! Assortment: Caliber(s) needed. ^_^

Instead I have all of the mounts to fit in the drilled and tapped bench top. It's faster to unbolt a press and bolt another on than to convert one over.

+1!

I've got limited room as well and I don't want both my machines mounted at the same time. I've got a laser cut 3/8" ms plate bolted to the bench overhanging slightly.

It has tapped patterns for both my 650 & 1050 (& now gone 550b). 650 sees occasional use to load .40 & process .223 and the 1050 loads the 9mm & .223.

Casefeeder hangs on the pegboard between switchouts. Easy-peasy!