Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Build vs. Buy 6" 9mm long-slide

bluesman2a

Let me first start out by saying, I'm NOT interested in constraints placed by any one competition or fitting this into a "box". For a while now, I have wanted a long-slide 9mm. Caliber discussion aside, I have two ways I can do this. The first is I can go to a friendly vendor and plop down about $1600 for an STI TargetMaster. I'm not opposed to a single-stack model, are there other off-the-rack guns out there I should consider here, (I'm not aware of any other current production 9mm longslides out there)? Also what little I've seen would lead me to believe the TargetMaster is a decent shooter, any opposing opinions here?

The second approach is that I have a Phoenix-Trinity Grip and LDC tac-railed frame that's ready to be built sitting on a shelf. I'd still need to buy slide/barrel/incidentals. My question on this side is if you went this route, are there any builders you'd recommend that aren't covered up in a 6-9 month wait? I have a couple of local smiths I'm still feeling out, but any recommendations here would be appreciated.

From a budget perspective, I'd like to keep this in the under $2500 range.

So to those of you who've been there, what would you do? Who would you talk to?

Have you considered an STI Eagle 6.0 in 9mm?

I know you are not interested in fitting any one division or sport, but a 6" 9mm single stack would be a terrible choice for limited, limited 10, and open and AFAIK doesn't fit anywhere in IDPA. I suppose it would be useful for steel challenge.

The eagle would be excellent for steel and 3 gun, and workable for limited (with the understanding that you would be scored minor).

As Mike Rush mentioned Brazos has the 6" STI Eagle for $2000, and quite a few games can be played with it. Another single stack 1911 is the 6" STI Trojan for $1455 at Brazos

You didn't specifically say you wanted to keep it in the 19/2011 family, but there are other options like a Glock 17L, or EAA Tanfoglio Witness Hunter (not 9mm though)

Or even a Taylor Freelance Sight Block extension onto a Glock 17.

Edited by Butterpuc

As Mike Rush mentioned Brazos has the 6" STI Eagle for $2000, and quite a few games can be played with it. Another single stack 1911 is the 6" STI Trojan for $1455 at Brazos

You didn't specifically say you wanted to keep it in the 19/2011 family, but there are other options like a Glock 17L, or EAA Tanfoglio Witness Hunter

Ummm... He did post it in "1911 style Pistols". That might be a clue.

You didn't specifically say you wanted to keep it in the 19/2011 family, but there are other options like a Glock 17L, or EAA Tanfoglio Witness Hunter

Ummm... He did post it in "1911 style Pistols". That might be a clue.

Duh, I didn't see that. Then I take it back don't buy a Glock or Tanfo/CZ! :)

hmmm.. I had NOT thought about the Eagle 6.0, but now that I AM, I like the idea of another gun with all the same mags. Out of the trojan vs target master, I think I would prefer the target master, it looks to have a bull barrel instead of a bushing, which I'd like to try out.

Well I cant say anything about 9mm... but I just started shooting a double stack 6" gun in .40 from Canyon Creek Custom, and I have to say that I totally love it.

I think a single stack 9mm 6" while possibly fun, would not really be a good game gun, except steel challenge possibly. However a double stack would be a great 3 gun pistol and could play in limited minor as long as you know these limitations going in.

6" guns are really awesome, my .40 with the right load feels practically like my Ruger 22/45... Plus they just look cool, my non shooting buddy dubbed mine the "Punisher" when he first saw it... I guess he was not far off

A11ED591-9A75-4CD5-B619-C19896885C79_zps

hmmm.. I had NOT thought about the Eagle 6.0, but now that I AM, I like the idea of another gun with all the same mags. Out of the trojan vs target master, I think I would prefer the target master, it looks to have a bull barrel instead of a bushing, which I'd like to try out.

I started with a bull barrel on my 6" 40. I sent it back to my smith and had it turned down to .580 and a bushing fitted to get the weight down as it was very nose heavy.

The 9mm has a very small bore, and the outside diameter of the barrel is the same as the larger calibers, which leaves very thick walls. Most people who shoot 6" guns gravitate towards the bushing, and I would suggest it is doubly wise to get the bushing barrel in a 6" 9mm.

It is a matter of preference, but depending on what you want to do with it...

Custom isn't a bad way to go either, but it sounds like you would be well served by an eagle- and you could always build the other frame into your dream gun after you get some rounds down range and you have a clearer picture of what you do or don't like about the eagle.

Hello: I have one I can bring to Cherokee this weekend if you want to have a look. I will be shooting the USPSA match there on Sunday. It is a 2011 custom I built for 3-gun but never got to use it before I moved here. You are welcome to shoot it after the match. Let me know so I can bring it. Thanks, Eric

I have no idea on current wait times, but I have been supremely satisfied with the work Glenn at Lone Star Innovations has done for me.

Your best bet for fast custom is probably to get it done local. There is a local smith here in SoCal that turns them around, and done very well, in a few weeks (minus the finish).

You could also get a stock STI modded to taste and hard chromed, or whatever finish floats your boat.

Para also did factory 9mm long slides. I just recently saw one of the complete upper kits for sale, I think it was only 500 and some.

A company called Fusion used to sell one too.

Edited by KSwift

I did quite a bit of research here a few months ago on 6" builders and seemed to find a lot of praise for Benny Hill and his "fat free" builds. His lead time was at ~ three months back in November when I gave him my deposit!

I also owned a Fusion 5" for a while and it was a great gun. I know he does quite a few 6" builds. They're lead time was much longer though back in 2010/2011.

Edited by zimm33

I did quite a bit of research here a few months ago on 6" builders and seemed to find a lot of praise for Benny Hill and his "fat free" builds. His lead time was at ~ three months back in November when I gave him my deposit!

Zimm, thanks for the info, I was looking at him on some related stuff. Would it be a safe assumption, that you haven't gotten a pistol back yet from this? If you don't mind my asking, what was your overall experience on this? Good communication? Willing to answer questions/work with you, etc?

Hello: I have one I can bring to Cherokee this weekend if you want to have a look. I will be shooting the USPSA match there on Sunday. It is a 2011 custom I built for 3-gun but never got to use it before I moved here. You are welcome to shoot it after the match. Let me know so I can bring it. Thanks, Eric

Howdy neighbor! Unfortunately I can't make it to Cherokee this weekend, but I *DO* want to start going to some matches up there. That's a very generous offer, thank you, sir! Would you mind posting pics/specs on your gun?

You are correct I have not receieved mine yet but the slide is getting its cuts now and should be off for hard chrome shortly. Benny and his team have been great to work with. He is very easy to talk to and explains things clearly to us laymans. They are not big into emailing but you can reach them easily by phone. I choose to have APS do my grip and send to him and he was fine with that.

Edited by zimm33