Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blinking...

I shoot my Limited pistol a bunch and I haven't given blinking at the shot a thought for years. Frankly, I can call shots easily and I just don't blink.

Then along comes my new open blaster with all that gas, and blast, and boom. I was sighting in a new load this morning and I noticed that I was starting the horrible habit of blinking. I simmered down and tried my best not to blink, but son of a gun if I didn't blink about 90 per cent of the time while shooting groups slow fire. I hate that habit.

So I shot the El Presidente a few times and when going fast, no blink...no time to think about it. I then set the targets at varying distances and spacing to practice target transitions. Again, no blinking and called the shots easily. I moved on to TJ's Devil's Triangle to practice on the move and I wasn't blinking.

To top the day off I shot a few groups slow fire at the AB Zone at 35 yards and son of a bitch if I didn't start blinking in anticipation of the blast. I never do that with a limited gun. Anyone else experience this problem? One of you resident open pistol gurus feel free to jump in.

Ron,

Are you double plugging? If not try that first. Most people that blink do it all the time. I guess you could always just shoot fast since it doesn't seem to be a problem then! The muzzle blast does take some getting used to compared to a limited gun. Make sure you keep your mouth closed it eliminates some of the sound transmission.

Some people benefit from focusing on the dot like a front sight. Not the fast way but we are all evolving shooters.

Also quit thinking about it. Conscious thought(especially negative) has no place in shooting, usually:). Honestly I do not notice the blast, except in March when I come out shooting for first time.  

Also try 20 rounds in berm with eyes closed. You can really learn a lot about your sensations and grip. Might help?

Sounds like you might just need to put a few thousand rounds through the beast. Its different but better IMHO. I am shooting L10 Nats but can't wait to get to the Super.

Good luck and don't sweat it.

Ok,

we eliminated the physical elements. Now it is just mental. You're a head case and that will be $50.00. Please pay the receptionist on your way out. I think bill is right dry fire and a few thousand rounds and you'll be ok. Don't over think things. All the stuff that applies to limited still applies to open just a different sight picture!

Young? Hell I'll be 35 in a couple months I'm an old man. When the twins arrive I'm sure the ageing process will accelerate! Being an LEO we have to be, Doctor, Shrink, Bodyguard, Lawyer and bull artist all rolled into one! I think that pain in your foot is a ploy to seek an advantage at they next match! I've shot with you enough to know better than to give any breaks.

Ron,

Your post exactly described the "normal progression of blinking." No big deal. Just go out and shoot slowfire, without aiming at ANYTHING in particular; while doing so shift 99% of your attention to your eyes and face. Do this until you're continuously, comfortably not blinking. Then aim at a target, but direct your attention EXACTLY as before.

You can fix it with total attention, not fear.

be

I think I know why I am blinking when I go slow fire. The blast of the pistol hits me in the face right at eyebrow level. I think my body is subconsiously protecting itself from the blast. This is my first and only open pistol. Is it normal to actually feel the air and gases as they vent?

I don't usually notice the gas and blast unless I'm shooting next to a wall or something. My blasters have no hybrid or reverse-angled ports..

Something I noticed recently was the temples of my low-light shooting glasses don't seal well with my earmuffs-- It's about 50% louder shooting with those than my super thin&flat-templed sun-shades.

Yes feeling gases and "shock wave" is normal. I think time will tell and  it is good you are aware enough to feel gases.

Chris, Most Drs are 30-34 when they graduate and start practicing medicine.  35 old well ---- you Im almost 40!!!!

Come on man I need a break, please.  How many times have you heard that one???

Good advise from Brian; I'm going to have to go out and work that exercise.  Recently I've noticed a "slowfire blink" of my own, but it's a little bit different, results being the same, though.

Since I've been shooting the P9 and the trigger is so light, it doesn't break the same way a 1911 does; I try to preload and perceive the break, but I can't feel it, so I rush the shot, scare myself, and "BLINK"...there it is...

I think Brian's exercise may help....thanks for posting the question, Ron.

• 5 months later...

Ron,

Your post reminds me of a previous one where somebody had to regrip only when shooting slow fire. Just forgetaboutit !! It is typically harder for me to relax when shooting slow groups also, could be a byproduct of the fast type of shooting we do.

James Ong

I forgot all about this post, thanks for bringing it back up. Brian's rather pragmatic approach worked. Instead of thinking about the cause, or coming up with an excuse, I just went out and defeated the blinking beast. Blink has been gone for several months and hasn't returned. Thanks guys.

I quit blinking some time ago. Talk about dramatic improvement!

And at the range today I was re-reminded about relaxing those jaw muscles and how THAT helps a lot, too. (I don't care if I look stoopid standing there with my mouth open... anything to reduce tension and improve the groups!)