Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recipe advise for 38 super major using coated bullets

Glock34Guy83

Thanks that's a good starting point as there recommended max is 6.9 which in there gun gave the 1,275 feet per second which is a 158 power factor. If I did the math correctly. But that is for a 124 fmj-fp. I hear coated lead shoot a little faster. I'm going to start at 6.6 and work up to see what my comp likes.

I believe you are going to end up above 9.0 even 9.5 for major I did with Rainiers that I loaded n350. You have picked a great powder to start with, and even stay with, it's one of my top 3. Cheers

Sorry that's with 124s..

Edited by a matt

I tend to agree that 6.6 won't be even close. Given they are coated not plated they will shoot a bit faster, but my guess is he'll probably end up somewhere in the 8-9gn range. I'd suggest start at 7gn and load some up in .2gn steps up to 8gn for your first outing with the chrono. That's certainly plenty safe in a 38 super major PF load.

That is the best and safest way to find your PF. To add to that you need to go over 165 to 175 or untill signs of over pressure to see what you and your gun like best. I found my dot tracks better around 175pf, when I had been shooting at 169pf. Good luck.

totally agree, you need to work up to PF (using a chrono and checking for pressure signs) and then go over it to find the sweet spot.

my current open gun easily makes PF at 10.2gn of 3N38. but it shoots better at 10.4gn. :) guess which one I load.....