Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pro chrono digital?

Went to the range to chrono some new 223 loads. Had the chrono at 10 feet and it was not reading any of the shots. Chrono has worked many times in the past with 260 rem, 45acp and 9mm. The only thing i could think of was it was late in the afternoon and the chrono was in the shade of the awening we shoot under. To those ofyou with more experiance does this sound like a possible cause?

Thanks!

Fresh battery, yes. What distance should it be for 223?

Guy at the range has same chrono and was stumped as well. Only thing we came up with was it was late in the afternoon, after 4pm, and the shadow of the awning.

I willl try again today if i can so what distance should i set it at?

Dirty you responded as i was typing.

But your saying the inverse of what sarge is. He says to close you say to far.

I misunderstood then. I think my cable is only about 12 feet total so the farthest I could go is about 8 feet. I started about 3' off the barrel and backed up until the results were consistent. 5-6' off the muzzle works with all my calibers from .38 to .308.

Edited by Dirty Rod

10 feet should be fine. I use the same chrono and run everything at 10 feet; rifle, pistol and shotgun. Most likely it was the shade that was causing your issues. Let us know how it goes when you try it again.

Shoot something else over the unit. See if it works. Use a 22 since you know what the FPS is. There is no reason for you not to get any reading even on a overcast day. I've only had zero readings on an indoor range with very little light. If you still have an issue then call Competition Electronics and talk to a tech.

From reading the conditions, I would point toward the lighting level not being bright enough or the angle. You need to light up the white covers fairly bright for the sensors to "see" the bullet (or it's shadow) accurately. My guess is do it at around noon and all will be good...

jj

I always thought rifles were supposed to be further away from the unit because of muzzle blast throwing the readings off? Maybe not I guess from the sound of it?

I made a white cover for my PCD that velcros to the tops of the white arches. I used a white plastic like in yard sale signs for durability but a no shoot will work well.

Probably the shade. Leave the plastic 'canopies' off when shooting in shade. I chronoed some 45acp blue bullets and it tested fine in the shade with the 'canopies' but when I shot 9mm blue no readings, took off the canopy and everything worked...

just to share the specs and results of my 30 shot string.

mixed brass trimmed to 1.755, 55gr Hornady #2267, wolf primers, 23.2gr of TAC, no crimp, with OAL of 2.200 resulted in average velocity of 2675 fps. ES was 143 and SD was 34