Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115 vs 124 for 38 super major

Open1215

I use only MG because they're readily available, a decent price, work

well and are full coated with copper (no leading in my comp).

Montana Gold are brass jacketed, not coated with copper.

This has been discussed for years on here. They have more zinc in them than typical jackets. Some say all jacketed bullets are really brass and only plated bullets use pure copper. Others say they are copper jackets but the color changes due to zinc content.

I understand that brass is generaly an alloy of copper and zinc (in general a 2:1 ratio, respectively) but it is still brass AFAIK and it is jacketed (not coated or plated).

I am playing with both the 115 & 124's Rainier ahead of 3n38. I'm shooting over 1500fps all day long w/o any issues. Accuracy is great sub 2" off hand at 25yds. I am working to see if increasing the powder/FPS helps the dot track better straight up and straight down? At 169PF the dot has a crazy left to right shimmy at the top and bottom but at the top the dot shakes so much it makes a triangle shape that plays with my tracking. But the 3n38 does work a comp well.

I have shot the 124 in 9 maj and loved them. I also have several loaded up for my 38sup gun being built. So at so ome point I will have a side by side powder to powder test. I like the 124s, but I hear a lot of people using 115s for more gas. More gas with a 115 due to more powder. However the increase in powder can increase "recoil impulse" That is felt.

More gas with a 115 due to more powder. However the increase in powder can increase "recoil impulse" That is felt.

This is true. I've always shot 115s because my first Open gun was 54oz with no holes, but now that I'm working on lighter guns with more holes (read: more violent) I'm thinking of trying some 124s to calm them down :surprise:

My newest addition weights only 42 oz and has two 3/16" holes, the 115s I shot today hit pretty hard in the hand...

Edited by kneelingatlas

Well I will have to leave "feel" in somewhat simply due to an ungodly amount of hardware and scar tissue in my left "weak " hand. Soo recoil impulse being too violent can really be painful after a few hundred rounds. I will check with a timer. If I can't deal with the 115s but I'm not too much slower no biggie. We will see how the brass lands and the bullets hit.

I run 124s frontier RN CMJ. For the simple reason that I shoot under ipsc rules. I know a few guys who tried extremes but were not happy with how they shot.

As for case capacity I make the most of it. :) 10.4gn of 3N38 fills a super case about as far as I want to go!

I would try 121s but doubt 3gn will make a big change.