Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

recommended light modified choke for supernova

Michael Flatley

I'm a big fan of what ever Pat is a fan of. I would imagine MidwayUK has what you seek, Either Briley or Carlsons are good, with Carlsons being a bit less expensive.

Right in front of me and I didn't notice the place of origin...Thanks master Kurt! :cheers:

Thread derailment question for the above shotgun gurus: at your skill level, can you honestly say that a specific choke brand or design has ever had any impact on your finishing place at a match? Or are your preferences based on fit, finish or something like the easy hand tightening utility of extended chokes rather than an actual performance difference from one choke to the next? I know at my skill level I don't even have to worry about chokes, if I miss a target it's because I wasn't pointing the gun where i should've been when I pulled the trigger. Is it any different when your at the top of the game?

I don't know bout none of that stuff, but I do know that some of the cheaper brands aren't concentric which causes patterns to not land center of the bead, which can be real frustrating when sighting in for slugs. If you change chokes and the point of impact shifts substantially, chances are your choke isn't concentric to the bore. What is this "finishing place" at a match you speak of? If I get to shoot some bullets and drink a frosty brew with Pat, I always win! :)

Kurt is (he rarely boasts about such things) one of the best 3 gunner in the game and truly a shotgun master!

A list of his accomplishments would take some time to read...

As far a chokes go...I concur with my amigo Kurt...If one choke is all you have, make it a Light Modified.

Choke making the difference in my match performance? On a clays course, yes. At a 3 gun match, I may pick up

a marginally aimed shot at a flying clay. An all shotgun event? I tend to be (always have been) a little too fast on the trigger

and sometimes running a tighter choke has me slow down and get the hits and conversely pulling the choke out and

"shootin' threads" has let me turn loose the beast on close stationary clays. Has any of this won me a match...singlely?

Nope, but I do have a fair list of shotgun wins.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

To add to Pat's explanation, I have never lost places due to a choke being too tight, but I sure have lost a few places from it not being enough on heavy/distant steel

As for sharing a malt beverage with Pat being enjoyable for all...well I can't speak to how Pat feels about it, but I sure do enjoy it as well as my many friends that have bent and elbow with us. Pat is truly one of the best representatives of our sport, and is a hell of a trigger bender in his own right! I have seen his name above mine on many an occasion!

i need a choke tube for my benelli m2 18.5 in shotgun, just got he gun and need a extended choke i think because the barell is so short.

what choke ? mod IM? full? keep in mind i have a short barell.

would love to find a stock also if anyone has a extra NON pistol grip black stock around.

My 13 yr old son and I are new to 3 gun and are going to share the shotgun.

An extended choke is not required. It just makes choke removal easier since you can use fingers instead of a wrench, and the choke constriction is labeled on it for easy verification. The general consensus is typically that a light modified choke is the one to get if you are only going to have one. Its recommended to have several to better adapt your shotgun for various courses of fire. I have a 26" M2 and 26" Supernova and have cylinder, skeet, improved cylinder, and light modified chokes.

i need a choke tube for my benelli m2 18.5 in shotgun, just got he gun and need a extended choke i think because the barell is so short.

what choke ? mod IM? full? keep in mind i have a short barell.

would love to find a stock also if anyone has a extra NON pistol grip black stock around.

My 13 yr old son and I are new to 3 gun and are going to share the shotgun.