Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dremel Danger

rowdyb

What Mark said. I spent hundreds of hours in my early years in tool and die using the industrial version of the shaft dremel, polishing molds and repairing dies. With experience most people become very good and accurate with one. Start out with lower rpm's and watch your pressure. Many beautiful melting and dehorning jobs have been accomplished using these. If you can afford it and plan on using them often get a industrial version with the foot pedal control. They are infinitely adjustable and run very smooth.

If one has spent years learning to control a moto tool on balsa, bass and aircraft ply wood, they likely find working fine detail in harder materials to be cake.

That said. There are things that a hand held tool are suited to and those that are not. Those that use and trust a mill are simply using a mechanically controlled dremel with much more power and a better grip......... ;)

If one has spent years learning to control a moto tool on balsa, bass and aircraft ply wood, they likely find working fine detail in harder materials to be cake.

That said. There are things that a hand held tool are suited to and those that are not. Those that use and trust a mill are simply using a mechanically controlled dremel with much more power and a better grip......... ;)

+1

• 2 weeks later...

As a gunsmith, my customers Dremel tools have made me some money.

That said, I have a couple rotary tools and they can be very useful. They work well on concave surfaces, but it is very easy to create waves and ripples on convex and flat surfaces.

Files and abrasive paper with backed with a block are much better tools on flat and convex surfaces. It's easy to create a bunch of work for yourself with a Dremel.