Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New build shorty or full size?

Open1215

I know it has been asked but I'm looking to build a 1911 open gun. I'm currently having a tanfoglio limited pro being built and it will have a 4.75 inch with a v-6 port and comp in 38 super. I'm looking to build a 1911 next. Im almost tempted to build in 9mm soi have an open gun in each but if Im at a match and my main gun fails I would have to carry 2 diff calibers of ammo. I guess if my 1911 was 38sc I wouldnt have to carry two calibers and I'm guessing I could run the same ammo and be pretty close to the same PF within a +- 5

So if I could get some input here that would be great! Thank you all.

I am going 2011 I have a pt frame and sti grip. I also have a comp on the way. I wanted 3 guns for years now. An open tanfo (being built) a open 2011 gun and a FN FiveseveN I have been collecting parts for my 2011. I had a hi cap para and sold it a few months ago and I miss the 1911 style. I figure I would shoot both. Not really a back up to either but Be able to pick up either gun and shoot well. I had an open glock and I liked it but really loved my tanfo. So I sold it to get annother. I would like to have one of each (tanfo and 2011) but if the tanfo is down or having work done or whatever shoot the 2011 and vise versa. I'm sure that sounds a bit odd.

Keep the same caliber and try to keep the same setup for a backup gun. It becomes a pain to keep two different ammos and two different calibers to run guns. Then when you find a box you forgot to label you start wondering what was in it and 2nd guessing yourself.

I can see how that would really be bad. I'm thinking 4.5 inch 1911 with 2-3 poppet holes. I'm thinking the two should have a simular power factor from the same ammo. The 1911 build is probably 6 months away or more from starting. I have a bob marvel comp from evergladesammo.com I still need several parts.

My open glock used a 4.5 in barrel. I liked it and enjoyed how quick it stayed on target. The tanfoglio has a 4.75inch barrel and I haven't gotten it back yet to see how it tracks. My thoughts on building a 4.5in in 38 super is with the shorter barrel the bullet will have 1/2 in less to be acted on by the gas from the burning powder. So you would need more (not by much) powder to reach the same PF. More powder more gas. Add a good comp and it shoots flat and will point or "track" a bit quicker. This is just a concept I know so I'm asking for input from shooters who have used both.

And yes it will be a hi cap 2011. I'm using a phoenix trinity frame and a sti grip.

I have that same exact comp in a cone configuration on a 38 super shorty with no barrel holes. Very nice combo. I shoot shortys much better than full sized guns. I have a friend with a full sized 38 super open gun and we were practicing and shooting each other's guns a while back, we shot a el prez drill and he commented how violent my gun was, then I showed him the timer and he said that it was his fastest run ever.

Personally I like shortys better. They are more violent feeling but soft isn't always fast and no open gun is what I would consider pleasant to just shoot. During a drill or a stage I never really hear or think much about what the gun feels or sounds like ( other than something way out of the ordinary).

Talking about ROing or standing near someone shooting a shorty, my gun isn't near as bad as some of the ported open guns people have around me. Hybrid or v comped (like some of the akai's, limcats, or a tanfo gold team). Are much, much worse than a non ported shorty.

I would skip the ports, initially, in the barrel but have the slide cut for them so you can add them in later if you feel you need them. You may decide you never need them or you may notice that you are waiting on the dot to drop and settle then it would be wise to add ports, starting small and going bigger if needed.

Edited by DRichardson

I can't wait to see your V6 when it's done :)

I assume when you talk about the barrel lengths above you're talking about the length of barrel which comes to the end of the slide not including the barrel inside the comp right? For instance a 5" 2011 actually has a 5.4" bull barrel.

I have three 2011s with a 4" slide, 4.5" slide and a 5" slide:

bedell_zpsc0840f36.jpg

BennyHill_zps5c768caf.jpg

post-19787-0-70633700-1417376020_zpsuond

I can't either! I am so excited to get that build! Yes I was going with length at the slide i know threading extends a bit so really the lim pro would be a 5inch barrel I would imagine unless it's a cone comp and a true 4.75. Again I'm not sure how it will be. Either way I am excited.

The 5in looks like binary engineering comp. let me know how u like it!

It is, I just got it before I left for the holidays, so I plan to shoot it as soon as I get back! I have another of Jared's comps waiting for a project and I'm debating using it on a CZ 75 based with a 4.9" barrel with no holes.

That 2011 has two 3/16" holes:

IMG_20141219_231722_zps97pibvc4.jpg

I'm thinking if I get someone to carve about two ounces out of that bull barrel it should weigh the same as my Bedell Super Shorty and make major with at least a grain and a half less powder.

Is that Everglades comp steel? Before you buy anymore you might weigh it, Jared's comp weighs less than two ounces. My Super Shorty only weighs two ounces less than my full size, so if you put a heavy steel comp on a shorty, it might not feel any lighter than my full size.

Hmm I will have to weigh it. It is steel. I do know that. The tanfo will have a steel comp too. So the weight diff in the two will be mostly in the plastic grip. It is pretty long too. I will have to get a weight and length and post that. I was just shocked. The dealer page said 110& for the cone 90$ for the comp. then the page was less. Good prices on 124jhp with free shipping. They are about 2 1/2 hours south of me so shipping is really quick. Or I could just go pick stuff up if I needed too. I may run down there for some cfe pistol in the new year. They have 4lb jugs in stock. ( local only)

Just remember that you can lift more with a long stick then a short stick (leverage) The same applies with a short barrel over a long barrel. There will be more leverage with the longer barrel over the short barrel, and hopefully a flatter shooting gun. That leverage that I am speaking of is what killed the 9x25, it would eat the top lugs away with so much down force on the barrel. I ordered one of the comps as well.