Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aero precision mount for vortex razor hd

Minicz

Don't get me wrong, I also recommend them. I just don't see a real question here. Pretty soon we'll have two pages of people saying they're great and a few more people making other perfectly feasible suggestions. We've been down this road, are we going down once more?

Edited by TonytheTiger

I thought the question was pretty clear..... Has anybody on this forum reading it at this time used these two pieces of gear in conjunction with each other. Your answer.... No but I'm gonna make a smart ass comment about it? Thanks for the pic Steve.

Hmmm, still not getting the question. My next smartass comment is: 25.2oz scope+3.3oz mount equals 28.5oz. That's exactly one ounce less than the same scope with a 4.3oz mount. If a one ounce weight savings tickles your fancy go for it. Alright, I'm done, turning dickhead mode off now....

Has anybody on this forum reading it at this time used these two pieces of gear in conjunction with each other.

Yes.

Sorry, couldn't help myself, but do you want to know if it is a good match, if it fits, what? My productive comment is that while yes it works really well, you can not mount the scope as far forward in a Aero SPR as you can in a ADM recon or a Larue SPR-E.

I do have a couple nits to pick...

I'm not a big fan of using hex/star head cross bolts on the rail mount (can't tell what those are from the photo). They are too easy to screw up when you are torquing them, particularly if you need to reposition or remove and replace the scope from time to time. It's not a huge issue because they can be replaced and the problem can be avoided if you have a really good driver and are careful, but it is an issue.

One thing that these mounts could really use is a set of dimensions. Distance between rings and offset from the base are really important for some scopes. So is the centerline height above the rail. Aero is not the only maker who is lacking on this and it bugs me.

Ok, I'll try on the measurements, off the mount in the pic above:

Inside distance between rings - 2.4455"

From top of rail to centerline of scope -1.522"

Offset from front of rail (of mount) to front of front ring - 1.250"

Checking on the Aero Precision web site I seem to have the extended mount (rear ring 1" forward end of mount rail) and the SPR model has the rear ring 2" ahead of the end of mount rail which would let you get the scope another 1" forward if desired.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/listing.aspx?catid=3

Checking on the Aero Precision web site I seem to have the extended mount (rear ring 1" forward end of mount rail) and the SPR model has the rear ring 2" ahead of the end of mount rail which would let you get the scope another 1" forward if desired.

Yep, I have SPR one, which is the longest, and it isn't quite as long as I would like it. Definitely sits my scope further back the Larue it replaced.

Edited by Vlad

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a couple nits to pick...

I'm not a big fan of using hex/star head cross bolts on the rail mount (can't tell what those are from the photo). They are too easy to screw up when you are torquing them, particularly if you need to reposition or remove and replace the scope from time to time. It's not a huge issue because they can be replaced and the problem can be avoided if you have a really good driver and are careful, but it is an issue.

One thing that these mounts could really use is a set of dimensions. Distance between rings and offset from the base are really important for some scopes. So is the centerline height above the rail. Aero is not the only maker who is lacking on this and it bugs me.

I hate when companies use small hex head bolts on anything requiring torque as they strip far too easily, but I have never had a problem with Torx. I actually prefer the torx screws on the rail mount over just about everything else. Seekins uses torx screws on the rail mount for their rings which says a lot.

Between Hex, Torx, and Star, I prefer Torx. What I really like are square socket but you almost never see them on bolts.

Which brings up the question.....................why do we need some many different style heads?

Why can't their be a standard agreed upon?

Edited by mjohn

Interestingly the Aero mounts come with a torx driver that is rather pretty and interesting. It seems to be designed to be hand tightened and you can only do that so much given the gripping area. I thought it was very clever.

Interestingly the Aero mounts come with a torx driver that is rather pretty and interesting. It seems to be designed to be hand tightened and you can only do that so much given the gripping area. I thought it was very clever.

Same here. The small driver that comes with the mount is more than adequate for mounting scopes and and attaching it to the rifle.

Im happy with mine. Kind of a PITA to setup because you need to compensate slightly for the scope turning a little as you tighten the scope mount. Once its set, it works. Seems to hold zero OK after taking it off and putting it back on.