Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot slow for points or shoot fast for time - whats better?

"Shoot slow to get your hits" has to be at the top of the list for the all-time worst advice ever given about this sport ..... the only thing I can think of that would even come close is being a democrat ....

LMAO!!!

Thats so true...

Alpha's fast as Possible sounds good to Me

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read the entire thread just the OP and I assume your talking USPSA, here's my limited experience.

I only shoot outlaw 3Gun, but, in the winter I will occasionally go to an indoor USPSA match, small match about 45-45 shooters

Shooting only 2 on paper to neutralize, I place 1 or 2 in open in the top 10 usually around 5th combined. None of the stages give an advantage to open except for the RDS, actually a hinderance because almost every stage has a forced reload, something I hardly ever have to do. :devil:

Almost always 1 A the other ? ?? every target gets 2 hits, I ALWAYS make up missed shots.

at least in Production, shooters of similiar skill level shoot a COF in about the same time, the winner is usually detrmined by who is more accurate ...

The " .... as fast as you can" part of my earlier statement encompases everything to do with shooting a stage, not just the act of shooting a target fast ... fast draws, fast reloads, fast transitions, fast footwork, shot calling , efficient stage plan, etc , etc. Doing all those things "as fast as you can" while shooting alphas is going to put you at the top ...

Shoot faster.

I shot for points at the last match. Pretty much shot within a point or 3 of the GM that won for each stage - but took twice as long. Yea. That doesn't win.

In fact - quite a few folks that shot a LOT fewer A's but did it faster placed higher than me. So don't fall into the trap of 'get all A's' at the expense of 'go faster.' Balance them out.... and for crying out loud don't hit the no shoots.... :)

Shoot groups at the start and for the last thing you do in live parctice. If you train the way you shoot a match a few times you will find you weaknesses, then you go back and work on the weak things untill they become strengths.. Also try to video you matches you should see your weak areas too. Good luck..

Edited by a matt