Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Life changes

MoNsTeR

A lot has happened since this post...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13711

I emerged from the first semester of the PhD program at or near the top of the pile. Before starting, I had cautioned myself that I shouldn't expect to be the best student in the class like I always had been, as I would be mixing with a group of talented, ambitious students from all over the country (indeed, the world). Yet, without consciously striving to do so, I became just that.

But it was a pyrrhic victory.

I embarked on this path out of a passion for teaching economics. Learning economics had changed my life so much, I wanted to pass on that experience to future generations. What I discovered is that the academic world -- puzzlingly -- does not prize teaching. All that matters is research: publishing articles in top journals. I had known that research was a component of the academic life, though I had hoped I could mostly avoid it. I felt -- and still feel -- that giving 30-40 students in a Principles class their first exposure to the economic way of thinking is of incomparably greater value than yet another article on some obscure detail of economic theory, or an empirical study verifying someone else's theory. Economists of all people know that we produce the most value when we specialize, when we leverage our comparative advantage. This mandatory bundling of teaching & research frustrates the academic's efforts, regardless which task one is better at.

Anyway, I digress. The point is that I was not fully aware of the extent to which research dominates teaching as a priority, particularly at this phase of one's career. I was told by the director of the graduate program, nearly in so many words, that students who aren't passionate about research shouldn't expect any help from the department, and probably shouldn't even be there. While writing my term papers, I was reminded very intensely of my dislike for the activity of writing junk to satisfy arbitrary requirements, and of the way that obligation drags my whole existence down into a thoroughly miserable state.

Add to that the culture shock of a lifetime Denverite living in Northern Virginia, in grad-student poverty... And did I mention I haven't shot a match since the first weekend in November?

Enough! I decided I was through. Back to Denver, and back into the tech industry I would go. I had always both enjoyed and excelled at I.T. work, and it had been a tough choice giving it up for academic in the first place.

I lounged about during what would have been Christmas break, trying to figure out when to move back, where to stay, what to do, blah blah blah. Then before I knew it I had not one but two job offers! Choosing one was tough, but it's done. Now begins the packing and moving cycle once again, but the destination makes it all worth it.

One of the highlights of my brief stay in NoVA has been shooting with all the great guys here. Thanks to Carlos, driver8m3, TRinVA, IPSC G34, .40AET, and many others for extending a welcoming hand. That said, it'll be nice to be shooting back home again, where we pick up brass and it doesn't rain :lol:

Anyway, I'm just rambling now, so I'll just stop :wacko::lol:

Good for you, Noah.

My sister-in-law has a PhD in Art History....is raising my nieces.

Dad's a PhD chemist....hasn't tought since 1978.

It ain't about teaching...it's about raising research grants for the school.

Guest Larry Cazes

Congratulations on your decision! I'm 39 and one of the most important things i've learned over the last 5 years is to never be afraid to make a change of career or direction if your expectations change. I have made some major career changes in the last few years and regret none of them.

Well, I am glad that I am not the only one that made that type of discovery. :) And I congratulate you on making it after just one semester. Took me several and by that time I figured I might as well finish it out as a MS so I would have "something" for the effort.

Actually, I loved the research and the writing but hated the internal arse-kissing and other assorted office politics found in academia. Research and publishing are only 2 legs of the triangle...arse-kissing is the 3rd leg and, well, I was never good at that.

I still miss research but I really do like having a real job, living where I want to live, doing what I want to do with my life and not scrambling for tenure.

Welcome back to the real world!

Went through basically the same experience back in '89 while working on my MS. For those two semesters I was a lab slave and making me a better marine biologist wasn't in the goals of my advisor or any professor for that matter. Back to the real world before the loans got out of control it was.

Your desire to teach already makes you a Doctor in my book!

Wish you all the success in the world!

B)

Noah,

Congrats. I'm glad you figured this out early in your life. Making money doesn't mean anything if you don't enjoy doing it.

Thanks for the kind words, one of the goals of our club while BJ, Kyle & I were running it was to make every shooter feel like it was home first and then put together a good match.

We enjoyed the short time we were able to shoot with you and hope to see you at some of the majors.

Tim

Sorry you will not be shooting the local matches with us here in Nothern Virginia, but our loss is Colorado's gain. Glad we met & we'll see you again soon - maybe at the Nationals? Regards,

Douglas

www.shootersparadise.com

PS 6" Hawley Custom SVs & N310 forever!

Monster ... thanks for sharing about your experiences. I'd post a summary of my grad school trials and tribulations, but I don't think the BEnosVerse has enough disk space for chapter 1!

Since you really want to teach economics ... have you considered teaching at a junior college, technical school, or even high school? I think you'll find that many kids in junior colleges are very motivated to learn, which makes your job much easier.

While writing my term papers, I was reminded very intensely of my dislike for the activity of writing junk to satisfy arbitrary requirements, and of the way that obligation drags my whole existence down into a thoroughly miserable state.

Man, you just summed up my exact feelings on continuing my feeling towards professional "continuing education". I admire you for sticking to your own, well thought out, priciples. I only hope that, as I move through my own career, I can find the same courage you are putting on display here.

BTW - feel free to give us here in Indy a shout on your trip back west. It's a good 17 hrs from here to Denver and I, along with a few other regulars here, know a watering hole or two.

Best of luck to you.