Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone run all magnetic mag pouches?

Gunnar897

if so why do you prefer if over standard pouches?

I need to get at least one and was considering the DAA Deluxe Mag Pouch. I shoot limited and was considering getting 4 and just make it standard for me. I have read about people getting stuck to trucks etc. and was wondering if the mags come free pretty easily. Or is it best just to run one and use it as needed. I like having all my mags in case I need them

Thanks in advance

Gunnar

Magnetic holders won't always hold your mag in the orientation you want. They can spin the mag on the belt leaving you grabbing the wrong end if you take off in a serious run

the DAA ones don't have that problem. I've seen a couple of guys run them but not many. Another guy I've seen runs all magnets that are just round with like a plastic shield around the magnet. he was happy with them.

there's no massive advantage over regular pouches though. you still have to draw the mag up and regular pouches can be made to be very smooth. still they are kind of cool. :)

DAA ones:

daa_deluxe_mag_pouch4.jpg

daa_deluxe_mag_pouch2.jpg

single stack version too:

5-on-belt.jpg

I would just run the standard mag pouches as they are more secure and serve the vast majority of the shooting better than magnets. The solid pouches are also more secure than the magnets even the DAA ones. The magnets really have a very limited role to the point where I don't even wear one on the belt. It's something I made with a 50 pound magnet and a tech lock that I keep in the shooting bag for the 1 maybe 2 stages a year where it's actually a benefit and then the concern isn't to smoke a speed reload as the mag isn't gonna be located perfect when it's on there as it's basically a slap and go and then grab it however it is situated as it's far from common. I don't think I have had to stow a mag personally all year in a magnet or pouch

Edited by EkuJustice

I have seen people wear a single in front like a belt buckle and regular pouches normally. Recently we have had a lot of table starts and was tossing around the idea getting/making one then saw the DAA deluxe. I like your idea of having it available for those infrequent stages where it would help. Is the 50lb magnet the threshold of hold a fully loaded mag or just what was available? I saw some 65lb online at HD, just need a belt clip.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm still pretty new to it and haven't encountered everything yet, enlighten me please to the types of situations where the magnet is needed or beneficial? I've seen a couple guys w one in front as mentioned but didn't ask what their reason was for them.

I'm running standard vertical Blackhawk singles right now in singles tack but am going to upgrade in a couple month maybe and am just reading up

Red

The only time they are really beneficial is if the stage is one where you start with the mags on a table etc and you throw it on the magnet and go over stuffing it in a pouch. At least around here it's something that's so uncommon I don't even wear one on the belt. It stays in the bag in case it's needed for the match

Ok, I'm still pretty new to it and haven't encountered everything yet, enlighten me please to the types of situations where the magnet is needed or beneficial? I've seen a couple guys w one in front as mentioned but didn't ask what their reason was for them.

I'm running standard vertical Blackhawk singles right now in singles tack but am going to upgrade in a couple month maybe and am just reading up

Red

We see them with some regularity. I mounted a 65lb magnet I picked up at Home Depot for $6-7 on the angled portion of my first mag pouch. It adds a little weight but not too bad.

post-12391-0-90478700-1421234703_thumb.j

The only time they are really beneficial is if the stage is one where you start with the mags on a table etc and you throw it on the magnet and go over stuffing it in a pouch. At least around here it's something that's so uncommon I don't even wear one on the belt. It stays in the bag in case it's needed for the match

Unless you know what's required of each stage/match beforehand would adding or changing your mag retention device during a match run afoul of USPSA rule 5.2.5.3?

In IPSC, they keep track of that stuff with a card you carry around from stage to stage (L3 and higher).

Unless you know what's required of each stage/match beforehand would adding or changing your mag retention device during a match run afoul of USPSA rule 5.2.5.3?

In IPSC, they keep track of that stuff with a card you carry around from stage to stage (L3 and higher).

I am not sure. I have seen people add magnets before a local match stage and remove it later. No one has ever called anything. I am only aware of issues changing firearms.

I run three regular pouches and a a DAA round magnet... gives me flexibility. I normally use it however to hold either the mag that I will be starting with or my top off mag.

I have seen starts on a table that required a reload, so it is much faster to throw it on a mag there. But really I have it as a convenience thing, its small, can be placed almost anywhere, it will hold anything metallic.

For 3Gun it will even hold a extra slug or buck round just in case. I keep one on a teklock in my bag. It works great when you are at the range shooting other guns and want to practice a reload but don't want to bring an entire rig.

I use one of the DAA Deluxe magnetic pouches and the rest are DAA RM pouches. I have never had a magazine fall out with the magnetic but i have had it shift when i was really moving. I am going to purchase a DAA RM mag pouch when i need another one, better retention, can set tension on magazine, smoother draw(in my opinion). I also use the magnetic one to hold 2 moonclips which works out pretty good.

edit: just noticed that I have been a member for 4 years and this is my first post.

Edited by ghettojet

If you want that set up, get the ones with ears that hold the mag at the right angle. The big disadvantage with magnets is if you have to go prone and the mags get pressured one way you could lose one as you get up.

I have a round magnet on the front of my first pouch (Production, only used for pickups) and back of my belt (holds the first mag I load). I like the round magnets for pickup stages because I can "pair" my mags on pickup and get two at a time. The magnets with ears can't do that!

So...I like a combination of both worlds :)