Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 40cal to 9mm?

gregshin

I have an opportunity to buy a new 2014 build STI 2011 Marauder in 40cal but I don't shoot or care for USPSA and all that stuff.

Can I swap in a 9mm STI bushing barrel into it? Are the breech face's different on the STI slides for 40 and 9?

I'm pretty sure I will have to change the ejector as well which i can do myself.

Anything else i'm missing or will have an issue with? Maybe also change to a different extractor? Of course recoil spring as well too.

40 breech face will not work for 9mm. Recommend complete top end for 9mm conversion. You will also need different magazines. ejector will need changed out as well.

Fit a 9mm barrel. Tighten the extractor. Get a 9mm mag and go to town.

Ejector is the same as 40. There is a difference in the breech face but it should run just fine.

I have several 1911 40 breech faced guns that I run 9mm barrels.

Edited by hdgun

I have doubts that 9mm would extract reliably from a 2011 with a .40 breech face. The extractor (even if bent enough to get good tension with round in the barrel) won't hold tension as the case extracts. The 9mm case is tapered and as it comes out it will twist and get loose.

The bottom line is that extra gap between the edge of the case and the rim on the breech face won't let the extractor hold tension as the case is extracted all the way out.

Edited by bountyhunter

I have an STI 2011 that was originally .40 S&W .....changed the barrel, tightened and tuned the extractor, then loaded a new 38 Super mag with 6 Supercomp rounds. All functioned perfectly and shot into an acceptable group at 25 yards.

That was about 20k rounds ago.... I now shoot Supercomp and 38 Supers in that gun.

I know there not known for outstanding quality and reliability overall, but kimber uses the same slides for 9mm, 38 super, 40, and 10mm guns. It should work fine, but isn't really the "right" way to do it. I'd give it a shot, STI slides are fairly consistent from what I've seen so if you do have to go to a 9mm slide the barrel may work if it was fit to the 40 slide.