Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine release plunger spring

e-mishka

Damn good question, do you have an extra?

You could probably cut it 40/60 and try either side, but I'm not sure how much softer it's going to get. I would try to find another spring of suitable diameter made from thinner wire (I know, easier said than done right?).

Damn good question, do you have an extra?

You could probably cut it 40/60 and try either side, but I'm not sure how much softer it's going to get. I would try to find another spring of suitable diameter made from thinner wire (I know, easier said than done right?).

40/60 ?

I tried this once. Once.

I took up to 5 coils off of that 12/13 coil little spring. The problem I experienced was at times the spring was not quite strong enough to fully lock back into the mag with 100% reliability. During the stage, on the move, I was having to slam in the next mag, to make sure that it was seated and locked back into place. So it didn't work out to well for me.

But I had to try it , I hated having to release my grip all the time to get my thumb far enough over the mag button to be able to push that sucker in.

Maybe just take only 3 coils off at first and see how it works. Have a back up spring ready to go if you have any problems.

Best of luck.

Removing only 1 coil does not do very much.

The calipers read the OD to be at .0970'' inch.

If you want to try something for the hell of it, use your FPB spring.

The OD is .0990'' and it goes right in and works. But in my opinion It's a little weak and I would not trust it during a match.

Best of luck.

Edited by gennaro

Okay gennaro I never would have thought about the Firing Pin Block spring.

I took that thing out of my Limited awhile back and it has been just sitting on my work bench collecting dust.

So I installed it as is, and it is lighter, but it has a mushy feeling to it almost like it's stacking a little. Not sure I'm sold on using it, but I'll leave it in for a little while to see what happens.

How many coils would you recommend taking off the original spring ?

TIA.

gunnit:

The FPB spring is too light and was just an easy change out to see the difference in tension. It only has 10 coils on it and is almost the same OD and Length as the original mag button release spring and will easily drop right in, but it's a lot weaker.

I will try just about any combination to get a gun to perform the way I want it to. And like others on here I also use pen springs in the trigger plunger, to help with the trigger pull, and they work great.

After thinking about it I'm not sure if I want to recommend cutting coils off the mag button release spring. It really needs to hold the weight of a full mag and keep it locked in place. I just wanted to see what would happen if I could lighten it up a bit to try and make it easier on my thumb. After removing the first coil there was no change for me, taking the second one off was a little better, removing the third coil felt decent and I should have stopped there, but then I pulled a stupid move and kept cutting. I removed the fourth and I didn't really test it before cutting the fifth coil off, and then the mag button stopped working, surprise. But I wanted to see how far I could take it, big mistake.

If you want to give it a try, just remove only 2 coils and see how it feels. I would not remove more than 3 coils, you need to have the strength in that spring. Let me know how it goes.

Best of luck

That's okay, there are some days when we just have to try things. We never get ahead if we don't try, it's the only way to find out.

Not to worry, EAA has them.

EAA Witness Parts Diagram,

Magazine Catch Spring part # 6.8

and if you take this part out often I would also pick up

Magazine Catch Plunger part # 6.7 on the diagram. This little part can easily get lost.

But don't ever stop trying something different. Even when I just watch an A M or GM shoot a stage, they are always trying different ways to see if it works better for them. Half the time it doesn't , but they didn't get to they're level without trying. Making things better for us is what keeps us interested and enjoying this great sport.

My apologies for the brief rant and going off topic at the end there. :)

Best of luck

Edited by gennaro

I checked Numrich yesterday and they were actually more expensive.

I will be giving EAA a call and giving this a try.

+1 gennaro !

A lot of us want to try new things. I think that's the main reason we come to this forum is to learn how to improve our equipment and our shooting skills.

Thanks again for all your help.