Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftermarket barrels (Storm Lake) legal for SSP?

MilkMyDuds

Relatively new to IDPA... would it be legal to swap the original stock barrel out with the same caliber Storm Lake barrel?

The Rule Book says:

8.2.1.3.11. Replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration and original caliber.

I understand the "original caliber" part, but not exactly sure what does "factory configuration" mean. Does it mean only stock barrels from another out-of-box factory pistol can be used for replacement? If so, for me, using MP9 Pro 5'', the only way to replace the barrel is basically to buy another same model/caliber handgun (given that no stock MP9 5 inch 9mm barrels are on available the market)... which is really not cost effective.

Thanks.

If you are going to replace a 5" 9mm barrel, it would have to be another 5" 9mm barrel and not a .40 or .45.

Can the 5'' 9mm barrel be from aftermarket vendors?

Yes, if you go to a different caliber, then it would put you into ESP. (the roll stamp on the slide has to match the barrel chmabering to be legal in SSP)

• 1 month later...

What if the slide does not have a roll mark? Can't think of any gun in particular but just asking?

Afterthought: Without having it next to me I'm not sure my M&P has anything on the slide that says "40S&W"

The M&P slides are marked, at least mine is.

I think the other issues you were asking about "factory configuration", if you had a 4.25" M&P9 and you were considering putting a 5" M&P 9mm barrel in it or a 4.25" threaded barrel in it. Like you said, the caliber part is easy figure, but my only interpretation of the "factory configuration" would be changing the length from original.