Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip pressure

BarnSide

I would do a search on the subject. I'm not saying your coach is wrong but you will likely find the general consensus is grip as hard as you can for the length of the stage without having any negative side affects such as shaking, too much thought on it, or focusing on it too hard. You want to be able to see your sights move through the entire recoil process and a firmer grip will make this muzzle rise and flip less dramatic. Try to focus on putting more force on the gun with your weak hand and it will help get the forces right without affecting your trigger squeeze. If your trigger finger slows because you are squeezing too hard with that hand you are over doing it.

If you are shooting open it may be an entirely different conversation, so consider that as well.

Do a search though, there is a huge amount of info out there on the various opinions for the "correct grip"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a video on YouTube with Jerry Miculek where he talks about grip. He mentioned that your weak hand should be tired after 200-250 rounds of practice. The more consistent my grip and first shots are, the more I'm using my hands equally together. Remember, you are controlling and directing an explosion. Any technique works when you have time, but in a match time is against you.

I've gone with my support hand like I am doing a pretty firm hand shake. My strong hand is if I caught a fly in my hand, that's how hard I'm gripping. Most importantly is to try and separate the trigger pull from the grip of your strong hand.

I’ve been told by my coach that my grip is too hard on the pistol and he said I should imagine the pistol as a paper cup, I’m just wondering how hard should the correct grip be?

This was in reference to what pistol shooting sport? Free Pistol perhaps?

Judging by the number of us who have battled tendonitis and use Captains of Crush I think many practical shooters are using a firmer than "paper cup safe" grip.

I couldn't get good results out of a major caliber Glock until I learned to clamp down on it. I started the CoC regimen after reading about Vogel working with the heavier grippers- the idea being you should grip until you shake, "maximum effort", and then reduce pressure until you stop shaking. The stronger you are, the higher your non-shaking grip pressure will be.

You can shoot decent groups with a very light grip, but unless you are shooting a very heavy gun or perhaps an open gun your splits will suffer compared to a firmer grip.

Try to focus on putting more force on the gun with your weak hand and it will help get the forces right without affecting your trigger squeeze. If your trigger finger slows because you are squeezing too hard with that hand you are over doing it.

+1000

I just picked up the IMTUG 4 for training my lower fingers, with the thought I would forcibly close grip and work on manipulating my trigger finger. My trigger finger is downright disobedient while I'm closing that gripper! Hopefully I can train that.

In my pistol classes, I teach that you should grip hard enough to keep your hands from shifting during fire. If you have to readjust your grip, squeeze a little harder. Many people confuse grip strength with wrist tension. Your wrist tension should be nice and firm, but your grip should be just enough. This combination will give you the best balance between recoil management and trigger control.

Glocks, and other "flexy" polymer guns respond very well to a FIRM GRIP!

I have a background in Bullseye (master) Metallic Silhouette (master) USPSA (master) and I would

agree with MikeRush's view...grip it until it shakes and back it off till it stops. That is the proper

grip. Worked (works) for me.

+ 1 grip it until it shakes and back it off till it stops.ive only just found this out and it makes a world of difference, now all I've got to do is remember this in a course of fire cos i keep forgetting and go back to a light grip and its not a pretty sight :surprise:

Thanks for the replies.

I was just shooting a Glock 9mm at a stationary target on the range.

The problem is I get shaking and am exhausted after 50 rounds.

'You should grip until you shake, "maximum effort", and then reduce pressure until you stop shaking'

I’ll give this a go thanks.

Any tips for making sure the wrist of the non firing hand is locked correctly?