Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI grip texture, would you do it different (aggressive V tactical)

ChrisRR

I don't want to bother Brandon any more than I have to as he is busy building pistols (mind among them). I can't try any of the grip textures so have to rely on what I can glean from online, this forum being the biggest contributor. Basically I can't decide between the aggressive micro-pockets that some run and love and the tactical micro-pockets ('spike').

Those that have the aggressive micro-pockets - was this texture ever too much or the cause of an unexpected drawback? Wish you had gone with a little tamer texture? I tried a couple of 'courses of fire' around the house with the spikey portion of a cheese grater to try and replicate the feel some had compared too on and while the feel didn't bother me much I can't be sure its indicative of the actual SVI grip ;)

Those with the tactical micropockets - did you every wish that you had gone with something a little more grippy? I have somewhat tough hands and and a bit of bite doesn't bother me though I do like to be able to move my hand on the pistol at times when running between shooting positions if the grip from the holster wasn't the best

I have 2 aggressive grips & would never go with anything else. Yes I have calluses on my hands where it rubs & early on I would even bleed a little until my hands got tougher but I love the feel of never having to worry about your hands slipping.

Well, the pistol will be infinicoat DLC finish so sanding the grips won't be an option.

Where the bleeding and calluses are concerned, do you have tough working hands to start with or lady man desk jockey hands or something in between like mine? ;). Don't mind a few calluses provided they are not prominent and I don't have ongoing issues with dry fire practice wearing holes in my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is still early enough in the build process for you to be asking this question, then I will give you my opinion. For me the Tactical Micro Pockets are great for a carry gun, but not aggressive enough when compared to the 120 grit grip tape or the Aggressive Micro Pockets. My current build will have the AMP, but really only because I like for potential clients to be able to hold and compare the two. The AMP is very aggressive and somewhat painful to grip, but I think you (I) can get used to it and the real benefit is you will never have to reapply it like grip tape.

With that said, I really prefer Grip Tape for a couple reasons. #1, you can completely change the look of your gun for a few buck with different colors and designs of grip tape. #2, you can choose between 120 grit and 60 grit grip tape. The 60 is only available in black, but it is grippier than the AMP and more comfortable at the same time.

Thanks for the replies. Yes I've only just got my order in so there should be a little time to decide. I'm not really into grip tape so prefer a textured grip.

The subject seems to polarise people however with answers everywhere from 'you'd be insane to run AMP' to 'love em, what's the big deal?' Makes deciding tricky at best.

Can anyone suggest an object I can go grab and squeeze that imparts a sensation of the AMP? Keep in mind I live in NZ so porcupine analogies won't help ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went through a similar analysis and discussion here and on their Facebook page. I am a white collar guy and opted to go with the tactical for what it's worth.. Won't have mine till late next year.

Edited by zimm33