Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sport Load Length

Smitty79

I am working on a load for my 40 cal TS. I know that SAAMI spec for max OAL is 1.135. I am interested in finding the total OAL envelop for this gun so that I can use OAL to tune accuracy and load long for faster powders.

When I push test, I find that I can load over 1.17.

I have a 1.15 load, with Bayou 180's, that I've run 15 rounds with. All good. Looking at the magazine I have a few hundredths to play with. Should I stop there or can I go a bit longer?

I load to 1.13 for mine, and know many others that load to this length as well. I have had no issues with this length. Your limitation is your magazines, not necessarily the barrel (as it can be throated). You're pretty much limited to what your magazine can fit in this case.

Although 1.135" is the cartridge spec for OAL, I was told to load mine to 1.126". That is what I have been doing for SWC and TC bullets and I don't have any feed issues at all. The guys who load a little longer sometimes do, especially with SWC.

Just be cautious when reading load recipes on the internet. A load that is fine a 1.2 can be a shrapnel generator at 1.130ish lengths. Particularly heavy bullet/fast powder combos.

Edited by Neomet

Just be cautious when reading load recipes on the internet. A load that is fine a 1.2 can be a shrapnel generator at 1.30ish lengths. Particularly heavy bullet/fast powder combos.

You mean a load that is fine at 1.2" can be bad at 1.13"ish lengths? The longer OAL you mentioned should mean lower velocity and pressure.

Just be cautious when reading load recipes on the internet. A load that is fine a 1.2 can be a shrapnel generator at 1.30ish lengths. Particularly heavy bullet/fast powder combos.

You mean a load that is fine at 1.2" can be bad at 1.13"ish lengths? The longer OAL you mentioned should mean lower velocity and pressure.

Yep. 1.135. Thanks.