Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 - shell extraction issue

Jupo

I have a well used M3000 that has developed a problem extracting shells. After firing a round, the bolt moves rearward but the extractor lugs slip off the lip on the base of the shell leaving the spent shell case in the receiver. I've cleaned the shotgun, re-lubed, and tried different types and brands of shells (Rio Bluesteel 3" #2, Win SuperX 2 3/4 #8, etc). The problem occurs in 90 degree temps as well as sub freezing temps.

Any suggestions or help resolving the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Shells look normal, regarding the extractor lug, I'm not seeing any difference between the lugs on the problem 3000 and another 3000 that doesn't exhibit the problem. The shotgun is less than two years old and has had less use than several

Hmm... ever stick your finger in the chamber and feel for burrs? Can you drop a live round in the chamber, point the gun up and have it fall back out? I saw extraction issues once where the chamber ended up being bad enough it was surprising they where chambering in the first place.

Shells look normal, regarding the extractor lug, I'm not seeing any difference between the lugs on the problem 3000 and another 3000 that doesn't exhibit the problem. The shotgun is less than two years old and has had less use than several

Same problem with different brand shells? I've seen a few guns experience this issue with Rio & Winchester shells but run fine with Remington and Federals.

Yea Jesse recently posted a few parts he had installed MK3 to improve shell extraction reliability. Read back Stoeger Thread, or send him a PM about what parts he added I konw they were Benelli parts from Brownells. Give us a update, we might be next :wacko:

The first gun I bought had issues with extraction from day one on Wal-Mart Federal bulk pack, rio, estate and Remington gun club. Surprisingly it didn't fail once with the 100 or so wal mart winchester universal I put through the gun. It always ran fine with good ammo that has good brass like Winchester AA's and Remington STS. At about 3000 rounds I had a few failure to extract on AA's. So I swapped my bolt carrier with an entire new bolt carrier out of a new gun. Problem went away. I think the spring was weak as the extractor didn't look bad or really much different.

I then had Mike at Accurate Iron swap out the extractor, extractor pin, & extractor spring with the equivalent Benelli parts. I personally didn't have the patience and/or tools to get the extractor out of my M3k bolt. I tried 2-3 times and realized I hate tinkering with stuff so I had Mike bail me out. The Benelli parts have been in my gun for. Few months and I've only shot a few hundred up to maybe 500 rounds and it's worked well. My Stoeger teammate Ryan Muller also had an exteaction issue in his primary gun in under 5000 rounds. His fix was identical to mine. New BCG then Benelli parts swap. I haven't heard if it worked or not. Definitely keep an eye on extraction with this gun. I/we peibsbly need to mess around with reshaping the hook and/or finding a stiffer spring for the M3k.

If you get the extractor pin out....do tell how.

If it is a copy of a Benelli part, the hole to knock out the pin is not in line with the pin hole. A properly sized drive pin punch that fits the top hole will drive the extractor pin out enough to replace the extractor. This applies to a Versa Max also. My M2 hasn't needed to have the extractor replaced.

Oops....I think I ordered the wrong part. The extractor I received doesn't look like the one in my bolt.

Is this the correct part? http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/receiver-action-parts/extractor-parts/extractors/extractor-prod6222.aspx

Looks like it. I'm on mobile and can't look up my Brownells order.

• 1 month later...

I’ve had random extraction issues all season with my Stoeger 3000

Tried using Fed, Win, Rio ammo from target to full heavy hunting loads.

Heavy Federal worked more often than the rest, but I got pretty good at using my finger to ‘hook’ the spent hull out of the port while the clock was running.

After reading here that the Benelli M2 extractor would fit, I got one in from Midway.

While replacing the part, I discovered the sides of the factory extractor were all chewed up.

The total round count on this shotty is under 500.

Looking closer at the slot in the bolt where the ejector rides, the edges of the bolt slot were curled in and sharp, pinching in on the extractor.

I went to work with some emory paper on the tip of a screw driver and removed the offending edges and installed the new extractor.

I ran 80 flawless rounds at the 3 Gun match yesterday.

One stage was how fast can you pull the trigger. Perfect.

I shot through Federal and Winchester heavy loads and even tried Winchester 1200 target loads. Not one hiccup!

Thanks for all the good posts!