Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When my F150 with 44K miles breaks down

RangerTrace

I intended to keep this pick-up for a long time, so I purchased the extended warranty before I hit 36K miles. Saturday on my way to the range, it started running so rough I had to pull over, kill it and start it again to reset the computer. After that, as long as I didn't go more than half throttle it ran fine....any more than that and I had to repeat the process.

No worries right, I have an extended warranty.......wrong!

The Ford Dealership says I need $650 bucks worth of spark plugs and tune up and it'll be fine..

A 2011 F150 with only 44K miles shouldn't need anything but gas!

Sorry you got a doggie. I bought a 1986 Charger brand new in 1987 and bought the "extra warranty" to extend the 5/50000 power train warranty to 7/70,000. Blew the head gasket at about 40,000 miles but at six years age.

Lucky I got the warranty!

Except Chrysler would not honor it because the extended warranty is with the dealership which "went out of business".... not really, just reopened under a different name at the same spot. So I was out about $1000 which was a bunch of money back in 1992.......

The Ford Dealership says I need $650 bucks worth of spark plugs and tune up and it'll be fine..

Maybe but dealership rates are typically about 50% above reasonable. Find a good mechanic you can trust.

Edited by bountyhunter

This exact situation happened with me. The claimed it was a "plug boot". So they did a tune up on it. 2 months later same thing. Then they said bad spark plugs.

I bought the "platinum" extended warranty when I bought the truck trying to cover situations just like this. I ended up talking to the Service manager about it and they covered the repairs. It really seems funny to me that the best extended warranty they sell doesn't cover these items.

On the positive side, my fuel mileage has gone up.

2012?

I intended to keep this pick-up for a long time, so I purchased the extended warranty before I hit 36K miles. Saturday on my way to the range, it started running so rough I had to pull over, kill it and start it again to reset the computer. After that, as long as I didn't go more than half throttle it ran fine....any more than that and I had to repeat the process.

No worries right, I have an extended warranty.......wrong!

A 2011 F150 with only 44K miles shouldn't need anything but gas!

My guess is that it is an electronic throttle body issue. I think that there is NO actual mechanical linkage between the accelerator pedal and the throttle itself.

Barring that, then my next best guess is that it is an Eco-Boost/turbo issue (aka the Eco-Bust).

Google and YouTube shall be your friends.

Edited by Chills1994

This exact situation happened with me. The claimed it was a "plug boot". So they did a tune up on it. 2 months later same thing. Then they said bad spark plugs.

I bought the "platinum" extended warranty when I bought the truck trying to cover situations just like this. I ended up talking to the Service manager about it and they covered the repairs. It really seems funny to me that the best extended warranty they sell doesn't cover these items.

On the positive side, my fuel mileage has gone up.

2012?

2011. My brother in law has the 2012 and his tranny has kept his in the shop for weeks at a time......As soon as I get it out of the shop, it's getting traded....my First Ford pick-up, will most likely be my last....

As a Ford technician, I would say something is wrong. Probably a coil or harness power issue to them. Plugs on your truck should go 100K easy. Send me a pm if you want more help.

Can you elaborate..? Two different people have had the same problem.

The COP's (coil on plug) go right thru the valve cover and into the center of the head. That makes them very susceptible to heat break down. Pulling the DTC's from the OBD computer should lead you the correct cylinder to inspect. Example is P0301 is misfire cyl #1. Most manufacturers in the quest to take weight out of vehicles have made the wiring harness's out of smaller guage lighter wire. I've seen some problems in the late model Ford harness's in some instances. A simple wiggle test will verify the harness and connections. Then change out the affected coil and inspect the plug. As far as the Toyota comments, a good friend of mine is a service writer in a Toyota dealership. They have the same issues as most new vehicles run this type of ignition. I also have a EcoBoost truck and it is one of the finest motors in production anywhere right now. Can't tell I'm a Ford fan, huh?