Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rt1200 chewing up brass

I have a rt1200 that is chewing up about every 5th case sometimes more. I've checked to ensure the blade is on correctly and not backwards, anything else I can look at? I normally spray down my brass with hornady one shot drop it in the case feeder and go to work. Station one is set up with a RCBS full length resizer and across from that is the rt200. I am resizing once fired lc military brass ranging from 99 headstamp to 2013. All the brass that gets chewed up seems to have a ring around the neck.

a38b7af92a21a7dc7b170607f13bb557_zps57de

4bb3d85d0b80f0879e02fde104ae7207_zps9b90

Edited by SmGrendel

They are spinning... are you sizing them before the RT-1200?

Yes sizing first, should I reverse this step?

Yep, back off the 1st sizer a touch, and drop the rt die down a touch if you can. 75/25 percent.

jj

Going to go try this now.

Thank you for the replies,

Shawn

Edited by SmGrendel

Thats one reason I dont do any sizing prior to running through the trim die. The cases are WAY snug in the trim die so they dont spin.

Oh an how many rounds on your cutting insert? Just doing .223 you should get IMO 50k rounds or so out of each side(I get 7-8k a side doing 300BLK, but thats trimming WAY more brass than a thousandth or two doing .223 trimming). Might try turning your insert to a new side(unless you have done this already).

The RT1200 trim die is also a full length size die. Why use a size die before the trim? To decap, and to make the process easier and get more consistent results on a progressive. Just doing one sizing operation will tilt the head and the tilt will be different depending on how much sizing is done. On a single stage it will in theory make little or no difference.

jj

Thank you all for the help. I have readjusted the sizer and pushed the rt down some more and that seems to have worked. It would be nice to have a tool head milled out just for the rt1200. No room at all left to move the trim die down.

Thanks again for the help.

You can put the die nut on the bottom of the toolhead and that should give you plenty of adjustment room with 223.

You can use a GSI toolhead for 300 blackout if you really want a toolhead milled for the RT. You shouldn't need it for 223 though.

There is a tool head that is cut down and meant to be used with both trimmers.

I bought it for my 1200 because it opens up the "excavation" port on the sizing die so that the chips are vacuumed easier.

Do you have a link?

Probably this:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/26197/catid/8/XL650_Short_Trim_Die_ToolheadI

I use these for 300 BLK:

http://www.gsiinternational.com/300-Blackout-650-Toolhead_8_4243_8649.html

I find that the standard Dillon tool head works fine with my 223 trim/forming die with RT1200 but I do have the nut on the underside of the tool head to give the window opening on the die less interference.

^^^^^^^^^^

Yup!

I double nut it, one on the bottom and one on top.

Motor has serious torque starting up, since over tightening anything on a Dillon leads to galling or stripping, this secures it well.

I work with industrial automation ... one can make a lot of good consistent product ... OTOH, one can also screw up a lot of product before noticing.

After using this toolhead, it is my opinion that it should be mandatory to use with the Dillon trim/size die. All the clearances are perfect.

And I don't use it for the 300 Blackout ... (Yet) ... Just 308 and 223/556

Edited by Currently