Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being a Servant unto a *^*&^%$$# Computer

EricW

To those who have been charged to lead, repeat after me:

The computer is my servant.

I am its master.

Never shall the converse be true.

==============================

Why am I mad? Every time I hear about how <fill in the blank> can't do <fill in the blank> because The Software won't accommodate <fill in the blank>, I just want to chuck something through a wall. We can never get from here to there, even though "there" is about 3 steps away. And the fact that being "there" is a hell of lot better than "here", incomprensibly, never can enter the discussion. All because of a stupid, goddamned computer.

I will leave out the specific details to keep this rant relatively non-political. But, to those individuals in charge of the ship now adrift in the ocean because their computerized whizzy whig navigation system won't let them steer North, I say:

"Rip the goddamned nav system out of the wall, chuck it overboard, then use the stars, your compass, and the freaking map, and get the ship back on course!"

It's time to read the writing on the wall and get your priorities straight. If we can't do this because of a computer, then its time do dump the !@#$% computer.

Good rant Eric! I am 99% sure I know where the reference points and I totally agree.

Yet another example of using "the software doesn't support it" as an excuse to not make radical, sweeping changes.

I think the word you are looking for is "luddite".

I just keep thinking of Scotty sitting down to a 20th century computer in Star Trek IV and saying in a loud voice "Computer" and waiting, and waiting...

I get you Erik. These things are still in their infancy and until the user interface and the internal structure get a whole lot better developed, you are just going to have to live with the fact that we actually still do all the work for the machine and then let it take all the credit for the results it spews out after our part is done B)

These aren't tools as much as they are electronic Lamprey's :o

--

Regards,

A gentleman who nearly sold me a gun this week said, "Computers don't do what you want them to, they do what you tell them to."

Flexo--

I coulda no doubt whipped out that "pretty" on the computer for you in minutes. Ya gotta have the right software.

Flexo--

I coulda no doubt whipped out that "pretty" on the computer for you in minutes. Ya gotta have the right software.[/color]

All is better now.

I purged the hard drive of all things...and started over (after Nick helped me get networked into my old conmputer to save documents and pictues and such).

That let me use the simple spread sheet in MS Works to document a group bullet order...and a Brownell's order. :)

Now I hve MS Office installed again...so I will be able to do scores for the steel matches as well.

:wub: