Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what happenend to my draw?

Stuck in C

One thing I'm working on this winter is improving my draw: smooth it out and hopefully make it faster. I shoot production with a Glock and Blade-tech Kydex holster. So far most of my times are just about 1.8 seconds to draw and fire one A hit, sometimes as fast as 1.5 to 1.6 seconds. I was cleaning out some papers the other day when I came across some notes I had from a combat/defensive pistol class I took several years ago, before I ever even heard of IPSC. At the end of the 2 day course we did some "shooting skills tests", one of which was to draw and fire at a steel plate for time. According to my notes my times were around 1 to 1.2 seconds. How come I was so much faster then? I can't imagine my reflexes have slowed with age-it wasn't that long ago. I practiced much less then than I do now. If I could figure it out maybe I could get back down to those times.

I actually recommend having as fast as draw as possible. Figure your draw is .2 slower than your competition on every stage. Figure a 10 stage match with a 10 hit factor. Before the first shot is even fired you are automatically down 20 match points which can be many places in the standings.

How was the "old draw" timed? Electronic timer, hand position, range, target size, etc.?

I am with Jake, as fast a draw as possible is sweet, especially on steel challenge type of stuff. On the flip side, schmitz gives a pretty realistic number. A par time draw of 1.2 seconds across the board, on demand, in a match, isn't anything to get too worried about.

How many big matches actually start with a draw these days? Seems like 75% or so of the starts at the last few majors I've been to have been drawer, tabletop, briefcase, or a run with ample time to complete a slow draw. I always love a stand and deliver start, because I actually practice my draw on occassion.

I actually recommend having as fast as draw as possible. Figure your draw is .2 slower than your competition on every stage. Figure a 10 stage match with a 10 hit factor. Before the first shot is even fired you are automatically down 20 match points which can be many places in the standings.

Not in matches these days in my neck of the woods :) It might cost you 3-4 points using Jakes math in a standard match, but more than 2 "regular" draws in a match is a rare thing these days :)

Being totally relaxed and focused is the key to drawing smooth (fast) for me.

I'm not only talking about regular from the holster draws. That math applies to any stage where you can see and shoot a target from where you get the gun. Whether it be briefcase, table, holster, drawer, prone, kneeling, surrender, hands at sides. If you can see a target without having to move, you will gain points for having a fast draw.

How many big matches actually start with a draw these days? Seems like 75% or so of the starts at the last few majors I've been to have been drawer, tabletop, briefcase, or a run with ample time to complete a slow draw. I always love a stand and deliver start, because I actually practice my draw on occassion.

Agree completely! I've experienced the same and my bet is that the WS will be no different, maybe a speedshoot or two where you stand and rip it, most other cof's will be drawing while getting to the shooting, and then smooth and a perfect grip is more valuable than speed... but don't loose any speed in getting to the shooting.. ;)

You can save a lot of time on the set-up. I see too many guys start with their hands way too far from the gun.

Hands at sides doesn't have to mean knuckles on the ground. :)

SA

Lotsa dry draws...

here

I not sure I agree, a lot of people was "reprimanded" during the European Championships for not having their arms relaxed. To develop a draw with a borderline set-up is fast but can be a disaster if you are asked on the line to relax your arms.

I practice both so if I'm asked to relax on the line I have no mental problems in doing so...

I guess I need to forget what I used to be able to do and focus on what I am doing now (is this a zen moment?). I'm trying to be organized about this and work on one area at a time in my dry fire practice; right now its the draw. I have both Steve A.'s book and Matt Burkett's videos for guidance. One problem: I am limited to doing my dry fire in the basement by myself after my kids go to bed and my wife is doing other things. Its hard for me to see what I am doing or where I may be making errors. Do you think it is worth buying a cheap (thats all I can afford right now) digital video camera so I can see what my draw looks like?

That could be a good idea. Something that would probably be better is at the next match go to the local M or GM and ask him to critique your style.

Seeing yourself in video helps but only if you can see everything that is wrong, getting a 3rd party prospective is often the best way.

Matches and formal outdoor practice's don't start around here until March. Joy of living in the North. I'm looking for things to do to help my dry fire practice until then-so maybe a video camera would be the way to go. Although I don't want to impact my ammo budget.

Do super-slo-mo draws (like a 30-seconds minimum). You'll soon see things that have you going "Why do I do that?". Brian's book also has a great dry-draw exercise with a doorway and a piece of string.