Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear protection for larger ears

I have been using a pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs and am really getting tired of how much pressure they put on my ears. I have larger ears and the cups rest on my outer ear. I have to pull them off after each shooter or I am miserable. Are there electronic muffs out there made for folks with larger ears?

If your ears are bigger than mine I feel sorry for you! My Peltor Tactical Pros are comfortable enough to leave on for extended periods and my ears do not hurt in the least.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-PPE-Safety-Solutions/Personal-Protective-Equipment/Products/Product-Catalog/~/3M-Peltor-TacticalPro-Communications-Headsets?N=5137086+8690968+3294177812+3294529207+3293993526+3293786499&rt=rud

• 3 months later...

Might Try EAR and have hearing aid type hearing protection made. I have some and they are the best thing ever

Agreed. I bought their Acoustical Filtered Earplugs.

I contacted E.A.R., Inc. after reading a review of options for hearing protection. The rep who responded put me in contact with their local rep here in Atlanta, who in turn sent me a schedule of what gun range he was going to be at and on which days. I picked a location and time convenient to me, met him there, and about 30 minutes later walked out with a custom-fit a set of in-ear plugs. The ones I selected have an optional port that can be unplugged (hinged plug), which is handy if I'm using electronic muffs over the plugs. (Unless you're like me, wearing muff over the plugs may be overkill -- unless you're shooting large calibers indoors, etc. The hearing in one of my ears is pretty much gone from my youth, so I take extra precautions to protect what remains.)

Once securely inserted, they pretty much make you forget you have ears. They're very snug, so don't pull on the keeper cord to try and get them out or you'll end up needing to re-superglue the end, which is a bit of a pain if you're at the range when it happens.

Yeah I found the howard leight impact sports very uncomfortable.

for me the peltor tactical sports - http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tactical-Hearing-Protector-Compatible/dp/B000Q04MRGaround $90 on amazon

combined with the peltor dual seal/camelback del cups - http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Camelback-Sealing-HY80/dp/B00DHVXKVA/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y$50 on amazon

are so comfortable that I can wear them the whole day.

The sound processing is also way ahead of the HL's as is the general quality. They also have a handy feature where they will turn off after 2 hours of not touching a button (gives you a warning first though) so if you leave them on in your range bag you don't get a nasty surprise next time... the batteries last ages too. Cannot say enough about them. I preferred them to the $300 MSA Sordin's. The gel cups also improve the NRR and the sealing over glasses. which as shooters we are all wearing.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shot my first match using the Peltors with Gel cups. Holy cows! What a difference in comfort level. Only issue is that they seal so well they can get your ears pretty warm so I had to do more of the sliding them up on my head in between shooters than I would normally do.

Get the "mix your own" custom ones. If I am shooting really loud guns like my 338 Lapua, I double up. But for matches, I use the two part mix semi custom plugs you make for yourself. I've seen them at Bass Pro, Academy, Cabela's and others. Very comfortable.