Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Power Factor

IHMSA15151

Most factory 9mm will barely make minor if you are shooting the common 115 bullet. 9mm major is a very hot round, think of it as a 9mm +p+++...

Power factor is determined by velocity x bullet weight / 1000. So to make major with a 9mm 115 bullet, that bullet has to be going over 1,400 fps...WWB is listed to have a muzzle vocity of 1225fps.

speer 124 grain +P makes major out of my 17L at 1340 fps. some old Corbon 115 grain +P+ makes it to at 1450 fps. years ago i shot some Triton 124 grain that make it too.

but to be clear this is with a six inch barrel with really expensive +P and +P+ ammo so while you can you don't really want to.

Most factory 9mm will barely make minor if you are shooting the common 115 bullet. 9mm major is a very hot round, think of it as a 9mm +p+++...

Power factor is determined by velocity x bullet weight / 1000. So to make major with a 9mm 115 bullet, that bullet has to be going over 1,400 fps...WWB is listed to have a muzzle vocity of 1225fps.

Actually, most factory 9mm ammo WILL make minor. Winchester 115gr white box is listed as a muzzle velocity of 1,190, (not 1,225) and is about 136 PF. I've seen others that go about 140 PF.

Actually, most factory 9mm ammo WILL make minor. Winchester 115gr white box is listed as a muzzle velocity of 1,190, (not 1,225) and is about 136 PF. I've seen others that go about 140 PF.

Maybe for your gun at a given match. I have seen WWB just squeak past the 125 minimum. Remington UMC made 124 out of my M&P PRO but would make minor (not by much)out of my G34 because it was so much faster than the M&P.

I pulled that info from a Winchester site...it was for 115 JHP's....and it all depends on who is publishing the data...35fps could be a difference in temperature, barrel length, etc....point was, it wasn't major power factor...and it would have to approach 1440fps to be near major..check the link below...1225 for jhp's

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900701698/winchester-usa-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

I pulled that info from a Winchester site...it was for 115 JHP's....and it all depends on who is publishing the data...35fps could be a difference in temperature, barrel length, etc....point was, it wasn't major power factor...and it would have to approach 1440fps to be near major..check the link below...1225 for jhp's

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900701698/winchester-usa-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

Winchester White Box - 115 FMJ.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/handgun-ammunition/Value/Full-Metal-Jacket-handgun/Pages/Q4172.aspx

THe JHPs are 1225, but I don't know why anyone would waste money on the JHPs, and you said Winchester White Box, not JHPs.

I pulled that info from a Winchester site...it was for 115 JHP's....and it all depends on who is publishing the data...35fps could be a difference in temperature, barrel length, etc....point was, it wasn't major power factor...and it would have to approach 1440fps to be near major..check the link below...1225 for jhp'shttp://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900701698/winchester-usa-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-grain-jacketed-hollow-point

Winchester White Box - 115 FMJ.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/handgun-ammunition/Value/Full-Metal-Jacket-handgun/Pages/Q4172.aspx

THe JHPs are 1225, but I don't know why anyone would waste money on the JHPs, and you said Winchester White Box, not JHPs.

The JHP's are Winchester white box as well. I was just showing that even the higher performing JHP's are no where close to major.

Maybe for your gun at a given match. I have seen WWB just squeak past the 125 minimum. Remington UMC made 124 out of my M&P PRO but would make minor (not by much)out of my G34 because it was so much faster than the M&P.

I too have found this to be true.