Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 OAL Consistency

JJP161

I have searched the forum and read through the responses but still have a quick question in regards to OAL. I will admit I am a smidgen anal on this. So I just started loading .40 on my brand new Dillon 550 ( upgraded from a LCT). I'm loading Berry's 180 gr FP on Blazer Brass with 4.9 of HP-38 @ 1.135. Now I'm finding my OAL from 1.131-1.136. Is that an acceptable OAL variation with Flat Points? Also will the Uniquetek Toolhead Clamp Kit reduce this variation? Thank you

You're fine. You're measuring at the top of the bullet , not the ogive. Either way, that's a very acceptable variation. Also make sure all stations are full. The first and last couple of rounds will have the largest variation.

My gun will run it fine, accept for the couple at 1.136, mostly I'm just worried about the wide variation in OAL.

0.005 is not a wide variation, most factory ammo will have more variation than that.

I would be fine with that variation. I tried clamping and it really didn't do much except make it even harder for rounds to line up with my u-die. If you have all of your dies in sync with each other the tool head is push up against the frame anyways when you lower the handle. That essentially is what the clamp kit does. You don't need one.

That is the variation I got when I was loading my .45 without using case lube. The batch I just did Saturday evening had a little case lube in use and my variation went down to .002-.003. I used the One Shot with just a couple quick presses of the spray into a plastic bag for every 100 or so and then just mixed them in the sealed bag. Anyway, if you aren't using any case lube, give that a shot once and see if it helps ease you mind. I know it sure helps run the cases through smoother.

Thanks for the information and I just picked up some one shot case lube so I will let you know how that works. I have never used the one shot before do I need to wipe it off after sizing or after I have the rounds completed? Thank you

No the One Shot is not a problem after reloading

I was also woried about that as well because of some of the stories I have seen. I've watched a few videos of people using it and I realized that any issues are because they are using way more than needed. A little goes a long way and you don't need to coat the entire surface. One case may have lube on one side and the next case will have it on the other side. It evens itself out over time. It also does dry pretty quick as I barel tested each round when I was done loading and it didn't feel like I had anything on my fingers after. If anything, maybe it will help the cartridges slide a little easier in the magazine.