Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up M&P mags for limited?

MrWallace

Hello all, I am working on moving into the limited division and the pistol setup aside (I'm shooting an M&P Pro .40 5") I have a few questions in regards to setting up the mags.

I've done a bit of searching and while I've seen it mentioned, I can't really find anything for setting up M&P mags for limited. I know that I need to get extensions (I have some of the TTI ones on order) but I've read somewhere that I should cut down the followers? Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction that would tell/show me what all I need to do to them? How much does this really help out or is it something that is really necessary for me to do?

Thanks in advance!

I am shooting an XDm and am using the Dawson Precision extended base pads. This is what I had to do. When you take the magazine base plate off, you will remove the spring and the follower. The bottom of the follower (the part closest to the base plate) can hang up when transitioning from the magazine tube to the new extended base. You will want to sand the edges and slightly round them inward. It does not take much. All you are trying to do is to remove any sharp or rough edges that way the follower will move between the mag tube and the new base. I used 220 grit sandpaper on most of mine. My wife's finger nail file worked real good, until she hollered at me.

Load your magazine and make sure that you are able to get the last few rounds in without any excessive force. If the follower is transitioning well, then you are good to go.

Have fun shooting limited. I really enjoy it over production.

I am shooting an XDm and am using the Dawson Precision extended base pads. This is what I had to do. When you take the magazine base plate off, you will remove the spring and the follower. The bottom of the follower (the part closest to the base plate) can hang up when transitioning from the magazine tube to the new extended base. You will want to sand the edges and slightly round them inward. It does not take much. All you are trying to do is to remove any sharp or rough edges that way the follower will move between the mag tube and the new base. I used 220 grit sandpaper on most of mine. My wife's finger nail file worked real good, until she hollered at me.

Load your magazine and make sure that you are able to get the last few rounds in without any excessive force. If the follower is transitioning well, then you are good to go.

Have fun shooting limited. I really enjoy it over production.

Unfortunately Dawson does not make extended base pads for the M&P. I've not heard great things from the Arredondo base pads. So you gotta go with the TT or TF. I went with the TF simply because I can get them locally. I have a few thousand rounds through them without a hiccup.

The downside of the arredondo pads for the M&P is the lack of a lock. Drop them while they are fully loaded and you get to play 22 pickup.

i agree with this, the arredondo where good before the TTI came out. i hear the TTI are good. i want to get these but $40 base plate and $10 a spring that like a price of a magazine.

One thing that is great about TF is that they have a solid brass 140mm basepad for the M&P. Adds weight in a good place and helps empty mags drop free plenty vigorously.

As to needed follower "mods", even if the follower hangs up a little while loading the mag, it should still feed just fine when shooting as the top of the follower doesnt have the sharp edges like the bottom. You can remove a little material from the "feet", parts that stick down to prevent tilt in tube, to help with getting all 20rds loaded.

I use the TTI extensions for my 40 Pro in Limited. I did not have to do any modifications to the followers. When loading, I get to the 16th round and I can feel the follower catch, a little push and it slips past and I can continue to load. I have not had any malfunctions using these extensions even though there is a "catch" while loading. When unloading the mags by hand I do not feel any catch so the followers are able to slide up the mag smoothly. I can fit 20 rounds in all of my mags, but reloading on a closed slide can be tricky. It is 50/50 whether the mag will lock in or not. I only load 19 rounds for a mag on my belt and 20 rounds in the first magazine at the start of a COF.

I use the TTI extensions for my 40 Pro in Limited. I did not have to do any modifications to the followers. When loading, I get to the 16th round and I can feel the follower catch, a little push and it slips past and I can continue to load. I have not had any malfunctions using these extensions even though there is a "catch" while loading. When unloading the mags by hand I do not feel any catch so the followers are able to slide up the mag smoothly. I can fit 20 rounds in all of my mags, but reloading on a closed slide can be tricky. It is 50/50 whether the mag will lock in or not. I only load 19 rounds for a mag on my belt and 20 rounds in the first magazine at the start of a COF.

Well, technically it is a modification. It's just a modification you don't know you're doing. That click you feel when you get to 16 and then transition through is a micro-shave off of the back of the follower. Over time, that shave will become more pronounced and you won't feel it anymore.

Well, technically it is a modification. It's just a modification you don't know you're doing. That click you feel when you get to 16 and then transition through is a micro-shave off of the back of the follower. Over time, that shave will become more pronounced and you won't feel it anymore.

Waddya know, I am a gunsmith and didn't even know it modifying my mags by loading them. Ha Ha!

I love the TTI mag extensions, I have 6 for 40, 10 for 9mm and 4 for my Pmags. Who do I see about getting sponsorship? I have a bunch of mags that still need extensions!! Hee Hee!

Waddya know, I am a gunsmith and didn't even know it modifying my mags by loading them. Ha Ha!

I love the TTI mag extensions, I have 6 for 40, 10 for 9mm and 4 for my Pmags. Who do I see about getting sponsorship? I have a bunch of mags that still need extensions!! Hee Hee!

We'll be having a sale shortly!

EDIT: Give us a call at the shop if you need bulk pricing. I can give you a good deal.

Edited by TaranTactical